Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
    The tank.
    Ride it dude. If you chase down all the noise in these old bikes you'll go crazy. Like me.
    If it was serious you would know.
    You're probably right. It just struck me as odd that i had never heard it before we started messing with the carbs. Of course now that its balanced and running well on all four, it may have been there all along and i just never heard it. I AM being paranoid I know, but catching something early means i can generally fix it before it leaves me on the side of the road somewhere...lol

I will ride it like i stole it, and see what happens. OH! BTW Chef I got those lights out to you, but I'll be damned if i can find the slip with the number on it. Less than 13 bucks, and like i said, dont worry bout it. Someday, i'll need you to do me a favor or help me out with something, Ill give you a shout :P I will post the tracking number up as soon as i find the slip...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      You're probably right. It just struck me as odd that i had never heard it before we started messing with the carbs. Of course now that its balanced and running well on all four, it may have been there all along and i just never heard it. I AM being paranoid I know, but catching something early means i can generally fix it before it leaves me on the side of the road somewhere...lol

I will ride it like i stole it, and see what happens. OH! BTW Chef I got those lights out to you, but I'll be damned if i can find the slip with the number on it. Less than 13 bucks, and like i said, dont worry bout it. Someday, i'll need you to do me a favor or help me out with something, Ill give you a shout :P I will post the tracking number up as soon as i find the slip...
      Thanks Josh! \\/
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I rode around with a 10mm nut driver stuck between my rear fender and the frame for about 2 months.

That made a pretty strange buzz at a certain RMP range.

Just a thought.

Comment

[quote=focus frenzy;820686]clutch cable vibrating on something?

my 1000G has a buzz at a very narrow RPM spot and is not always there. it was driving me nuts till I figured it out.
          it is the dress up cover that goes over the lower tripple tree fork mount.[/quote]

Have that exact same BUZZZZZZ on mine...found it one day while I was riding! :shock: (just had to find where it was coming from)

Comment

Tom's (tom_mlc) 1100 had a noise that we thought was from the engine. Tom found it to be a motor mount. Just something else you can check. :-D
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Could be a lot of things. Maybe related to the recent work you did, maybe not.
              I'm not suggesting anything, just mentioning this because your description basically fits the buzzing sound that can come from a defective starter clutch. One day it will start to buzz/vibrate and it's generally much more noticable after you've revved it and the rpm's are coming down under approx' 2,500 rpm's. That's what mine did. Seems funny but when I first heard it I found that moderately pressing against the stick-on case emblem quieted the sound. I actually thought it may be the emblem at first but that proved wrong.
              After replacing the starter clutch I never did see any sign of why it buzzed/vibrated. The rotor wasn't loose, no odd wear marks on the shaft. Two of the 3 springs in the starter clutch were shot though. The rollers didn't allow a good grip either. Lots of slipping wear on the inside of the primary gear.
              Backing up a bit, it's my opinion that a bad starter clutch would give you fair warning though before any buzzing sounds started coming. Generally, you hear a loud "CLACK" at the first stage of starter clutch failure. After time, it gets worse and gets to the point where it clacks everytime you start up, especially when cold.
              If yours has done any of that, it may be the starter clutch. If no previous sounds have been noticed, then it could still be the starter clutch but it's less likely.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

if you put the clutch cover bolts in the wrong holes one can touch on the clutch.you'll know when you take the bolts out at the bottom right corner of the cover.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                  Could be a lot of things. Maybe related to the recent work you did, maybe not.
                  I'm not suggesting anything, just mentioning this because your description basically fits the buzzing sound that can come from a defective starter clutch. One day it will start to buzz/vibrate and it's generally much more noticable after you've revved it and the rpm's are coming down under approx' 2,500 rpm's. That's what mine did. Seems funny but when I first heard it I found that moderately pressing against the stick-on case emblem quieted the sound. I actually thought it may be the emblem at first but that proved wrong.
                  After replacing the starter clutch I never did see any sign of why it buzzed/vibrated. The rotor wasn't loose, no odd wear marks on the shaft. Two of the 3 springs in the starter clutch were shot though. The rollers didn't allow a good grip either. Lots of slipping wear on the inside of the primary gear.
                  Backing up a bit, it's my opinion that a bad starter clutch would give you fair warning though before any buzzing sounds started coming. Generally, you hear a loud "CLACK" at the first stage of starter clutch failure. After time, it gets worse and gets to the point where it clacks everytime you start up, especially when cold.
                  If yours has done any of that, it may be the starter clutch. If no previous sounds have been noticed, then it could still be the starter clutch but it's less likely.
                  Yes Kieth the bike DOES have that CLACK noise in the starter clutch. However, i have notice that SINCE this buzzing showed its head, it has done it LESS frequently. Also, the NOISE goes away when the bike gets hot. At first i was thinking cam chain slap, as a couple of people who have heard it suggested, but if it were cam chain slap, why does it go away when its warm? And yes the buzzing does seem to be more apparent when the revs are coming down, right around 2500 RPM. The thing is, other than the buzzing, there is NO apparent problem with the motor. I have ridden it pretty hard this weekend, and it didnt flinch once. I have to say that i am starting to think that you may just be correct. I shall poke around and see what i find. Thanks for the info EVERYONE!!!

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by uudfourty View Post
                    I rode around with a 10mm nut driver stuck between my rear fender and the frame for about 2 months.
                    Speaking of which ... Hey Josh, have you seen my 10mm driver? :shock:

j/k 8-[

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Yes Kieth the bike DOES have that CLACK noise in the starter clutch. However, i have notice that SINCE this buzzing showed its head, it has done it LESS frequently. Also, the NOISE goes away when the bike gets hot. At first i was thinking cam chain slap, as a couple of people who have heard it suggested, but if it were cam chain slap, why does it go away when its warm? And yes the buzzing does seem to be more apparent when the revs are coming down, right around 2500 RPM. The thing is, other than the buzzing, there is NO apparent problem with the motor. I have ridden it pretty hard this weekend, and it didnt flinch once. I have to say that i am starting to think that you may just be correct. I shall poke around and see what i find. Thanks for the info EVERYONE!!!

Josh
                      In my case, the buzzing/vibration sound was obviously coming from the stator cover area. There wasn't any doubting it and I sure didn't need any second opinions. The clack sound during cold start ups was obvious too and I knew what that sound meant anyway.
                      I still don't know why the buzzing sound began but I took it as a warning that I was putting off replacing the starter clutch long enough. In my case, the entire clutch was replaced along with the primary gear. Some are lucky to only have to replace the 3 little springs and usually the rollers too, but that frequently results in a short lived fix and it starts slipping again. Most don't realize or notice that the slipping damages the primary gear too.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                        In my case, the buzzing/vibration sound was obviously coming from the stator cover area. There wasn't any doubting it and I sure didn't need any second opinions. The clack sound during cold start ups was obvious too and I knew what that sound meant anyway.
                        I still don't know why the buzzing sound began but I took it as a warning that I was putting off replacing the starter clutch long enough. In my case, the entire clutch was replaced along with the primary gear. Some are lucky to only have to replace the 3 little springs and usually the rollers too, but that frequently results in a short lived fix and it starts slipping again. Most don't realize or notice that the slipping damages the primary gear too.
                        Well ive been poking around, as i have a couple of spare starter clutch assemblys and primary gears laying around here. The part numbers DONT match on Bike Bandit, but they look exactly the same. The 77 750 and the 80 750 use the same gears. You think i would get lucky and one of those i have would fit?

Comment

I can't say if you can use different year/models starter clutches in your case. I know the 1000 and 1100 use a similar, but different design.

Comment

Well if not, i will hunt one up. A new one is 140 bucks. Not too hatefull, but if i can find one being parted out, and get it cheaper, then great. thanks for the Help Keith, as always

Comment

I have a feeling you are right Keith. The only thing that still bugs me is WHY does it go away when the bike is warm?? The buzzing i mean? The CLACK is obvious, and i knew what that was a signal of. And the buzzing came about out of nowhere just like yours. We had it on the centrestand balancing the cabrs, (had fans on it to prevent over heat) and after balancing, it was there. I dunno if sitting there at a high idle (just around 1700RPM IIRC ) caused it to suddenly decide that it was time to start, or if it was pure coincidence. Nonetheless it has been worrying me. I just dont understand why it goes away when the bike is good and warm. Maybe better oil flow kinda lubricates and quiets the buzzing. *Shrugs*

Comment

I don't know why it goes away when warmed up either. Hard enough to diagnose noises in person, let alone over the web.
                                First thing that comes to mind is it figures to be internal. I mean, if you generally locate the sound and press against various parts and it has no effect, and you don't see any hardware/bolts that are missing or loose or something rubbing, then I'd start thinking internal, which can be a warning.
                                The starter clutch is just one possibility and you did say yours is acting up anyway. That doesn't mean it's the cause of the buzzing though. Mine did start buzzing, along with the clack sound, but mine still buzzed even when I pulled into work, fully warmed up of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X