carb synch adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb synch adjustment

There are many posts on carb synching and adjusting the idle screws of #1,2 and 4 carbs but I can't find an answer to my "dumb" question.
    I just want to verify that when backing off the 5/16" locknut you would turn the flat head idle adjuster screw downward(clockwise) to increase the vacuum, correct? In other words this would open up the carb to allow more air to increase the vacuum pressure?
    How many turns might it take to notice a 2cm increase or would you notice an increase with just a half turn (180 degree) of the flat head screw?
    thanks

Even though I JUST did a carb sync on TheCafeKid's bike today, I can't remember which way you turn the screw to adjust the vacuum higher or lower.

Every time I do it, I have to refresh my memory for that session, but I end up moving the screw both ways, anyway.

How many turns? Less than 1/4 sometimes. You will fight yourself getting the gauges lined up, then find that they mess themselves up when you tighten the locknut. I tend to snug the locknut, check the reading, then loosen the locknut, overcompensate with the screw, then snug the locknut again, hoping it's right this time.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

in opens the valve, out closes it.

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
        in opens the valve, out closes it.
        I assume when you say "in" that means clockwise and "opens" increases vacuum pressure?

Comment

See? That's why I don't even try to remember. :shock:

I just watch the gauge. If it goes the wrong way, I turn the screw the other way. 8-[

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            See? That's why I don't even try to remember. :shock:

I just watch the gauge. If it goes the wrong way, I turn the screw the other way. 8-[

I tried turning it to test the other day but 1 full turn clockwise didn't seem to change anything!

Comment

when i say turn it in i mean clockwise and when i say open i mean decrease vacuum.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                How many turns? Less than 1/4 sometimes. You will fight yourself getting the gauges lined up, then find that they mess themselves up when you tighten the locknut. I tend to snug the locknut, check the reading, then loosen the locknut, overcompensate with the screw, then snug the locknut again, hoping it's right this time.
                Fighting yourself is the perfect phrase! I've gotten to love that "locknut limbo" in a sick way.

Gotta use the Force. Let go of your conscious self... reach out with your feelings. Like Luke Skywalker, closing his eyes, pulling the trigger, and blowing up the Death Star - syncing is my most Jedi moment. :-D

Comment

After watching Steve today, as ive never seen BS cv type carbs done, I can honestly say I would have been cussing and throwing wrenches! LOL The VM carbs seem to be MUCH easier to dial in, and from the looks of things, one effects the others MUCH less.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                    I tried turning it to test the other day but 1 full turn clockwise didn't seem to change anything!
                    That's no good. Maybe an air leak or tight valve clearance.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X