Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end noise over bumps?

Hello,

81 GS850GL, makes a really nice sort of banging noise over sharp bumps. I do not think it is bottoming, since it does it over small bumps too, and I watched the fork, and it seems to have travel left after the noise occurs.
    I thought it may be the tank, but I cant seem to get it to reproduce the sound unless I am riding it. I did notice that the batter is missing its hold down strap, could that be it? I am putting a new one in. I can find anything else loose...and I cant isolate where the noise is coming from while on the bike other than from the front half...

Beyond the obvious things like loose bolts or fenders it might be the springs inside the forks. Mine rattle a little too on small bumps.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Lodogg2221 View Post
      Hello,

81 GS850GL, makes a really nice sort of banging noise over sharp bumps. I do not think it is bottoming, since it does it over small bumps too, and I watched the fork, and it seems to have travel left after the noise occurs.
      I thought it may be the tank, but I cant seem to get it to reproduce the sound unless I am riding it. I did notice that the batter is missing its hold down strap, could that be it? I am putting a new one in. I can find anything else loose...and I cant isolate where the noise is coming from while on the bike other than from the front half...
      On my 850GL I found the noise to be loose rivets holding the fender to the part that attaches to the suspension, being an aircraft mechanic I used a rivet gun to tighten the rivets.Noise gone

Comment

Had the same problem. Swore it was the front end. Funny that ever since i removed the center stand, its gone....

Comment

Had the same problem. Swore it was the front end. Funny that ever since i removed the center stand, its gone....
          Holy Cow! My center stand spring is worn out and doesnt hold it up very well anymore. I bet thats it!

Thanks for all the replies! I will get at taking a much closer look at it today. I will start by zip tieing it up to the frame and see if I still get noise, if not I know thats it, if I do, I have more searching to do...

Comment

Just posting my fix for anyone who may have the problem in the future.

I found that one of the front tank grommets was missing, and the other in bad shape. The tank would move a little by tugging on it, but I am guessing the harder bumps caused it to hit the steel frame ear that the bumper goes on...thus making the noise.

My solution (being Saturday, and not knowing if the part is even available, I set off to McGyver my own fix) was to get a piece of 3/8" fuel line, and a urethane shock grommet to fix it. The grommet is just a hair larger than the stock bumper, and has to be cut to width, but fits beautifully. The fuel line takes up the space on the pin where the original bumper mounted, and with a few wraps of electrical tape, gives a nice tight fit for the larger shock grommet. Works perfectly. No noise and the tank doesnt move at all now. Just like it was when it was new! Cost all of $4.

Comment

Working...
            X