Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Cable

Hi all,

Its late, I'm getting to bed, so I'll make it quick. (1980 GS850GLT)

Scenario: Yesterday evening my plastic throttle assembly (handlebar) came slightly loose, which caused my throttle to ease back, instead of snapping back.

Today I tried to rectify the problem to no avail. I didnt make any changes , and checked the entire line to make sure it wasn't being squeezed, adjusted and wiggled it, and re-adjusted the portion at the carbs. I lubed it up. The cable is routed correctly, and the cable itself is less than 2 years old, so what gives?

The only thing that happened was that plastic assembly loosening, and I can't get things back to the way they were. They are fairly reasonable now, but not good enough (too slow a response if I really crank the throttle).

Has anyone experienced this before? I don't get how something so simple is proving so difficult to fix. I might solve it with my manual and more thought, but I thought I would give a quick post.

Anyone have any pointers?

thanks.

POOT

Pull it apart & check that it's all seated correctly in the throttle assy. Other than that check the spring & make sure nothing fouling down that end.....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Everything seems to be in order inside the casing...there is an ever so slight bend in the cable. I don't think this is such a problem , but maybe Im wrong??

However, when I've noted that when I tighten the bottom screw of the plastic casing, this makes the movement of the whole assembly very unresponsive.

What I dont get is how this would change in the span of 1 day!

Poot

Comment

Still seems that something inside the assembly isn't right. If everything is correct, tightening the screws to the point of breaking the screw shouldn't tighten the throttle barrel nor cable. Just my opinion.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Still seems that something inside the assembly isn't right. If everything is correct, tightening the screws to the point of breaking the screw shouldn't tighten the throttle barrel nor cable. Just my opinion.

I am thinking the same thing. Taking it apart, i cant see anything that would explain it though...I'm going to be taking another look soon with a fresh mind.

Hopefully it works out, as I'm taking it camping in 2 hours. [-o<

Poot

Comment

Hopefully you have it figured out before reading this and have gotten back from your camping trip. And I'm jealous that you get to go camping. Backpacking is all I wanted to do this month, but I have in-law's birthday parties, family pictures and a wedding anniversary to do on the weekends..... ugh.... anyway....

Mine did the same thing when I was swapping handlebars.
            I disconnected the cable and the assembly and the whole shebang from the bike, so I could hold the barrel in my left hand and the twist grip in my right.

There, it worked just fine, but wouldn't work on the bike.

I had to drill a second hold in the handlebars because for whatever reason, the one I had on there just wasn't working. Everything looked fine, everything seemed as though It should work just fine, but it wouldn't.

Since your old hole worked just fine, make sure that it's lining up correctly.

Good luck.

Comment

well, its not what I thought.....

screwing the housing tighter doesnt make the snappping action better or worse....it just sucks.

argh. I'm gonna take the tank off, etc. try try again.:?

Comment

Has your throttle assembly moved along the handlebar so the end of your twist grip is hitting the end of the handlebar?Cheers,Simon.8-[

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Hi all,

Back after a cold rainy weekend.

So, I managed to "fix" it (or so i thought) just before leaving on saturday, geting a pretty snappy response. It seemed to work best after I took the plastic tank/frame guard off and put it back on. I assumed at the time that the hose had gotten crimped or something.

However, its back to the f'd up state it was in. The plastic assembly has loosened again ever so slightly, and if I use my hand, it moves around the handlebar. No, the assembly is not too far into the handlebar to affect things. The throttle cable isn't even that old....I think I replaced it 3 years ago, although I could be confusing it with the clutch cable.

What I am going to do, is get 2 new roberts screws in there, take it apart, relube it (again) , take the plastic tank/frame guard off, and then see how it goes when put back together. If this doesnt work, I'm just going to get a new cable, as there is really nothing else I can think of.

I kinda need to get things fixed before my big road trip in 2 weeks....don't want things snapping on me.

POOT

Comment

Working...
                  X