Seeking tool reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking tool reccomendations

Hello everyone. I'm a relative newbie and I'm trying to build myself a nice little set of motorcycle tools. Ideally a set that would have everything I need to do most maintenance and small repairs and also be portable enough to bring along on longer trips.
    What tools have you all found to be most essential and useful for basic repair and maintenance?
    Are there any specialty/lesser known tools (aside from the usual wrenches etc.) that I should definitely have??
    Which tools do you find you use most?
    Thanks in advance for any helpful advice

This may be a silly one, but a little magnet onna stick for when you drop the flat washers from the oil filter cover into the bucket of oil.

Why yes, I did just change my oil, why do you ask?

But to the point, a couple good sockets, I like Snap On but there are LOTS of other good brands out there. A handful of zip ties, some dielectric grease and a couple connectors (pliers can crimp in a pinch)

Get it? in a pinch? ok, time to step away from the computer...
    Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2008, 07:16 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

impact driver is a must on these bikes.

Comment

It seems like I use a rubber mallet on my bikes more anything. I'm not kidding either.

32mm socket and 24mm socket for the front sprocket and the rear axle (respectively)

Torque wrenches are a must for garage work, probably not great for traveling though.

Maybe a good set of stubby gear wrenches?

air compressor!!!

Comment

Try to think in your mind to get a set of everything miniaturized. There is
          a neat tool out there at most flea markets and hobby shops that have a ratchet. It has interchangeable bits with a knurled speed loader.

This amazing tool functions as a nut driver with any 1/8" socket, extentions, flat, philips, torx, and other useful bits. Metric Allen wrenches
          are essential, so I got a neat little "L" metric set that is only 4" in length
          and 1/2" in widths with the handly 6-10mm wrenches.

I have small jumper battery clips screwed onto my neg post of my battery and the pos to my starter solenoid so I can jump any bike or be jumped. I
          carry a small thin pocket-size DVM for troubleshooting and a battery status checker with LED lights. It checks the condition of the battery at standstill at 12V or under. It checks the battery at its charging state at above 13.5-14VDC, and I have a very small hygrometer that is also pocket size. It is a droplet with small little beads in it. It check for specific gravity
          in the sulfuric acid and costs no more than $2.

I bring with me a small adj Crescent wrench, 8,10, 12, and 14mm open-end wrenches, channel locks, needle nose pliers. I bring anything and everything in miniature scale including Suzuki spare parts in Ziplock baggies. Never ever go out the door on your bike without a spare clutch cable. If your cable snaps, your dead in the water. That is why I prefer
          a hydraulic clutch with the same feel over time, and no cable to break whatsever. Cable will fray and wear out and snap after 1000s of engagements and disengagements over time.

Fuses, washers, tie wraps, cotter pins, O-Rings, E-Clips, CO2 patch kit, grommets, superglue, Permatex gasket sealer, solderless connectors, crimper, 18 and 20 gauge wire, tubes of heatshrink, metric cap screws
          metric nuts, small container of 10-wt machine oil, small container of 10-
          40 wt engine oil, small container of DOT 3/4 brake fluid, butane soldering iron, solder, GS1100 wiring diagram, spare plug, headlite bulbs, turn signal bulbs, instrumentation bulbs, first-aid kit, cell phone, hand-held CB radio, hand-held ham radio, calling card, GPS, etc.... and lots of water and
          spare clothing.

All of the above takes very little room, yet will save your ass on a long
          trip anywhere you have a breakdown. Like you, I don't want to bring
          bulky tools that are unnecessary and worthless to me. I don't want the excess weight either.

Goodluck to you,

KT :-D\\/

Comment

holy cow!!!

on my 750 all i carried was a ratchet, with a universal socket, and a crescent wrench, and a pair of pliers......

i travel light! but on longer trips i would definately be packing some serious butt-saving tools.....

Comment

I will be taking a 2-3 week Route 66 tour from SF-LA-Chicago on this historic highway next year. I have to brainstorm and think of every conceivable breakdown there is because I may have to go by myself.
              And this historic road is lonely and forgotten and neglected. A breakdown could be life or death situation !!

Not everybody has the time or the expense or the raw nerves and adventure to partake in a long road trip like this. I'm the person who
              will do it alone if I have to. Nothing intriques me more than on 2 wheels free in the wind and learning about America's pastime.

One thing I will do before I go is to get rid of these Vance and Hine's
              4-1 black Supersport exhaust pipes. Never buy a pipe that does away with your center stand AND access to your oil drain plug. This is a complete joke good for the track and but not for the road. If you have
              a flat tire, your again dead-in-the-water !! You cannot get the wheel
              off nor lubricate the rear chain on its center stand. Just a very stupid design and is a complete turn-off in accessability and ease of maintenance.

My 2 cents again !!

KT
              San Jose, CA :-D\\/

Comment

can i see a pic of that pipe???

interesting......

Comment

impact driver and torque wrench, in inch-pounds. metric socket set, though just the 10, 12, and 14 mm will do a lot. allen keys, metric. expensive tools are expensive, i have a medium priced husky set that is ok, but i also have an ace hardware "cheapy" socket that is guaranteed forever, too, and only cost 10 bucks for the most common sae and metric sizes. feeler gauges. screwdrivers, in various sizes, esp if you are going to do the carbs.

i plan on putting together a "motorcycle only" kit, with only the sizes on the bike, for travel. there really arent that many different fasteners on these things.

greg
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

or, a six pack and a sledgehammer.....hehe....
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Working...
                    X