wiring indicators/turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring indicators/turn signals

hi, when i got my bike gs550 `85 it had no idicators as it is pretty much a custom bike. it still has the origanal switchs on bars which someone had cut the wires too. i resoldered 3 wires back on and the switch makes either side , i then put a pair of indicators on which just have live & earth but how can i make them flash .? i tried a 2 pin flasher relay one side live the other to the switch but it just comes on and doesnt flash am i wiring this correct or do i need a different flasher relay??? any help would be great .....

i believe the flasher actually has 3 sides....

each prong goes to either one side or the other... left turn signals, and right turn signals.. and the body of the flasher acts as a ground....

im not 100% sure on this, but i could be right...

check your manual, at the back there is a wiring diagram with all the info you need, you can trace the wire paths with that....

Comment

Don't know specifically on the '85, but if you have a two-pin flasher, you're correct in that one pin connects to hot and the other connects to the switch. If you have two indicators, then flipping the switch to one side or the other connects the hot coming from the flasher to the switch to either the left directionals and indicator, or the right ones. The indicators and directionals each have one lead connected to the switch and the other lead connected to ground.
      If everything comes on when it should and the only problem is that the lights aren't flashing, there is likely insufficient current to trip the flasher. Could be something as simple as bad connections limiting the current.

Comment

hi, i bought the 2 pin flasher wasnt with the bike so im not sure if its correct , i wired it as you state but the light is on and not flashing ..

Comment

sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere....

Comment

Any chance these are LED indicators?
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

i think they are led indicators..........

Comment

Originally posted by ccrxxx View Post
                i think they are led indicators..........
                led indicators require an electronic flasher unit as they dont pull enough current for a standard flasher to "switch back and forth" so check that you have the appropriate flasher unit for your indicators
                GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                  led indicators require an electronic flasher unit as they dont pull enough current for a standard flasher to "switch back and forth" so check that you have the appropriate flasher unit for your indicators
                  Either that, or resistors in parallel with the directionals to draw some additional current. See end of the thread below.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

There have been a couple of other recent threads on the same subject as well.

Comment

hi, in the pack when i got the indicators they supplied 2x resistors ,they have a red and black wire coming out of them same as the indicators , on the pic they give u it states to put black to black and red to red then join onto them .?????
                    these are the ones i bought

Comment

hi, thanks for the help job now done !!\\/
                      the new flasher relay thing was faulty ... this forum is spot on . thanks:-D

Comment

Working...
                      X