No announcement yet.

Valves got louder then BAM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YOu two are no more than a tank of gas apart, maybe something can be worked out.\\/
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I thought about offering it as-is, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get enough money to justify doing it. The thing that bugs me the most is all the money I just spent on Progressives, a 530 chain conversion (arrived a few hours before this mess happened), and other stuff. Honestly, I'd really like to just get out what I put into it. Part it out or fix it then sell it as a running bike?

I'm still new to all this, so I don't really know what it's worth. TCK, the bike is in Grand Rapids, MI if you're interested. PM me a reasonable offer and we'll see if we can work something out.

Comment

Well to be fair, i couldnt offer what you've likely got in it bro. Its an "L", which is not my cup of tea, its a 16v, also not my cup of tea and its not running, which is a problem. For me it would be a purchase with intent to repair and sell, and to get MY money out of it, i would have to lowball you. Dont want to do that, cos i know what it feels like to put a bunch of money into a bike and know that you wont get what you put into it out (let see, ive got how many thousands into the cafe project? Its prolly worth 1500 completed if im lucky) Honestly, if you part it out, you WILL likely EVENTUALLY get what you put into it out of it, but it will take a while. If you are interested in getting it RUNNING for pretty cheap, and THEN selling it, or keeping it even, talk to me. We can work something out bro. This motor is taking up room on my work bench, and i have 8v motors that need freshening up :P

Comment

I certainly appreciate your honesty. If you were in my position, what would you do? (Keeping in mind that I'm a broke student, literally.) While I would get great satisfaction from getting it running again, I think I might be better off parting it and getting another specimen in the future.

I'm torn between the two...

Comment

i'd say your situation with a toasted engine sucks, but not totally...

why not take cafe kids offer for parts and rebuild that engine yourself?
            parting out the whole bike, advertising, wrapping parts for shipping, trying to sell of those few last bits noone seems to need, etc... is a lot more work than rebuilding the engine and you''ll end up just covering your $ losses and having no bike in the end

while a few extra hundred bucks should see that bike on the road again and a grin on your face for everything you've acomplished :-D
            worth it, i think
            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
              i'd say your situation with a toasted engine sucks, but not totally...

why not take cafe kids offer for parts and rebuild that engine yourself?
              parting out the whole bike, advertising, wrapping parts for shipping, trying to sell of those few last bits noone seems to need, etc... is a lot more work than rebuilding the engine and you''ll end up just covering your $ losses and having no bike in the end

while a few extra hundred bucks should see that bike on the road again and a grin on your face for everything you've acomplished :-D
              worth it, i think
              TCK doesn't have a 16V engine so it's not that easy. But there are others on the GSR that might be able to help

He should post it in the classified section here under parts as a rolling machine in need of engine and see what happens.

As a starving student your clearly not in a position to repair it so your going to be off the road for a bit. But there are plenty of GSes out there.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                TCK doesn't have a 16V engine
                well, he says he does... read his post above
                GS850GT

Comment

Bleeble,

My best advice is to source another engine/tranny.

I've seen 1100L engines go for 300 bucks in running condition. I would certainly think you could find a 750 for a reasonable price.

One, you need to spend time studying. At some point in the future you could get yourself 300 scratch to get your bike on the road, but rebuilding the stuff takes the proper equipment, time and materials.

If your valves got louder and a piston locked up, sounds like she either barfed the oil pump or was low on oil as you mentioned she burned oil. When the valves get too hot they will start to hang up causing a louder tick and if there isn't any oil being splashed up onto the cyl walls especially the inner cyl, then you're SOL.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                    Bleeble,

My best advice is to source another engine/tranny.

I've seen 1100L engines go for 300 bucks in running condition. I would certainly think you could find a 750 for a reasonable price.

One, you need to spend time studying. At some point in the future you could get yourself 300 scratch to get your bike on the road, but rebuilding the stuff takes the proper equipment, time and materials.

If your valves got louder and a piston locked up, sounds like she either barfed the oil pump or was low on oil as you mentioned she burned oil. When the valves get too hot they will start to hang up causing a louder tick and if there isn't any oil being splashed up onto the cyl walls especially the inner cyl, then you're SOL.
                    Time is not a problem, just money. I don't know if it's cost-effective to do an actual rebuild. Taking a quick look online, it looks like piston rings, bearings, gaskets, etc. would add up fairly quickly. Frankly, if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. I won't replace one thing then put it all back together, ignoring all the things I should have replaced while I had it apart.

I don't know if you read the whole thread, but it appears that the problem is most likely a broken connecting rod. The oil level was actually the first thing I checked after I stopped (it was good). I didn't perform a thorough inspection, but the valves appear to be fine.

Can I get to the crankshaft/rods by dropping the oil pan?

Comment

No good for sure! I agree with Shafty in the fact that is was a lack of oil that caused the situation in the first place. The valve train is the first thing to show oil deficiency and will likely be shot! Also, as the #2 rod (for whatever reason (seized bearing)) parted company with the piston, cylinder and crank damage are all but guaranteed.

Look for a complete engine to swap in and either ride it or sell it as a complete running bike. Point out all the things that you've done in the form of upgrades and the like and get your money back out of it.

An engine run dry (for whatever reason) is seldom worth rebuilding. Scrap that part of the bike. My .02 cents...:?

Comment

i say, tear it off the bike and then take it all the way apart... then take some time and do some research and then you will know what will work out best for you, a rebuild or a new engine

Comment

Yeah, I'm still not 100% sure what the problem is yet. I'll have to take things apart to know for sure. If it's not too much trouble or too expensive, I'll probably just fix it and ride it.

The good news is that I just got a letter from the IRS letting me know my stimulus payment (and hopefully refund) should be along shortly. Good timing. Gasket sets and engines tend to be expensive.

Comment

if i were you, i'd pull the engine, take it apart, and fix it. sure it may take a long time with your money situation but you'll learn a lot about motorcycle engines and possibly have fun. i would love to rebuild an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
                              you'll learn a lot about motorcycle engines and possibly have fun. i would love to rebuild an engine.
                              Alrighty then, Bleeble...send catbed yours and you'll both come out winners! Problem solved! \\/

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                                TCK doesn't have a 16V engine so it's not that easy. But there are others on the GSR that might be able to help

He should post it in the classified section here under parts as a rolling machine in need of engine and see what happens.

As a starving student your clearly not in a position to repair it so your going to be off the road for a bit. But there are plenty of GSes out there.
                                I DO have a 16v motor. The top end is toasted. The lower is fine, as are likely the pistons, and maybe even the jugs. ( I would bet so) I have NO USE for the motor, as i dont care for the 16v motors much (there are a couple of the bigger 16v GSs i wouldnt mind owning) So I HAVE THE PARTS.

Comment

Working...
                                X