Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS250T; Mechanics' Nightmare.

Hello GSresources,

First post, new to the site. New to the GS. New to cycles.

However, that didn't stop me from buying a 80's GS250T the other day. Dosn't fire, or run... Does turn over.

It's a regular 250T, and the seller described it with "Some spark issues.. needs new plugs.." and mentioned somthing about a "Pulse generator."

Ofcourse, its been sitting in his garage for the last twenty-some years, and you can imagine all the problems that go with that..

Anyway.. Here's the list.

What works:
    -Turns over.
    -Turn signals (Don't blink, and only work occassionally.)
    -Lights in the handlebar
    -Battery is new.
    -Brakes Etc, work.
    -Horn works...
    -New spark plugs! (Yesterday)
    -He says coils are okay. (I don't know, really)
    -Factory tires still have the nubs!
    -3600 Orig. miles!

What dosn't work:
    -Front headlight.
    -Ignition button (He jerry-rigged an 'Ignition switch")
    -Does not FIRE..
    -Carbs are gummed up, I suppose?
    -Air Filter is ruined. (I found rat nest in it..)
    -Fuel tank is rusted inside and out.
    -Lots of electrical wires hanging around.
    -Broken fuel lines, etc.
    -No paperwork (To title and reg. to the repair booklet)

Says he had it running on ONE cyl. about a year ago. Not sure what is wrong with it now. He mentioned the "Pulse Generator" is shot, and I'm inclined to believe him. I took some of the stuff apart, and hooked up the battery... and it does turn over, just dosn't fire...

Friend of mine hooked up a funnel to the fuel line from the tank... and tried to fire it.. Nothing. He says that the carbs are the problem.

So, between the carbs, pulse generator, and wiring... I'm way over my head. Hoping you guys could clue me in.

As I said, I'm new to cycles.. but have read just about every 250T page I can find. I would love to have it running soon... But I have no idea where to go from here..

Thanks,
    -B

wow. you got problems with that thing!!!

get that tank cleaned and sealed...
    rebuild the carbs...
    get the spark issue figured out....

i would check the compression...
    give everything a good look over and cleaning and you will have a good idea of what needs replaced right away...

Comment

if you have a manual, check the wiring diagram in the back, it will tell you every wire and where it goes...

if you dont have a manual, get one! it will save you lots of headaches

Comment

Depending where you live the lack of paperwork could be a deal breaker. Make sure you can get the title before investing too much into the bike.

The carbs need to be gone though and the tank cleaned. There is a carb rebuild series on the GSR home page in the Garage section - it's for the larger bike carbs but all the carbs are very similar on the inside. To clean the tank, do a search for ideas. POR-15 sells a reasonable kit that will work as long as the rust is not too bad.

Regarding the signal generator and such like, check to see if you have spark by laying a plug on the side of the engine with a spark plug wire attached. You should get a spark while turning over the engine. The signal generators are very reliable so I doubt that is the problem. Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I highly doubt my ability to fix the carbs, with or without a guide..
          Lose one piece, and it's over, no?

And,
          Providing the Pulse generator *IS* broken, is there anyway to fix it? Or, must I purchase a fresh one?

Comment

Some folks have had success with fixing electronic components like signal generators and igniters, but that's over my head, I have always replaced. Others may disagree with me, but first take Nessism's advice. Find out what it will take to get a title, can you apply for a "lost" one, etc... second, from what you describe, it's probably going to cost you $500.00 MINIMUM (and that's where others may disagree) to make it a reliable bike, and that's if you're lucky and you do all the work yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Miragejack View Post
              I highly doubt my ability to fix the carbs, with or without a guide..
              Lose one piece, and it's over, no?

And,
              Providing the Pulse generator *IS* broken, is there anyway to fix it? Or, must I purchase a fresh one?
              Carbs are simple, simple, simple. Follow the guide, and you can't go wrong.

You absolutely need a manual. Period. You're going to be going through everything on this bike, and you'll soon get tired of asking questions and waiting for answers when it would take 30 seconds to look it up in the manual.

As for the pulse generator being "broken", it isn't quite that simple. Is it physically damaged? Loose/broken wiring? Check the coils for resistance, check the plug boots and wires for damage or cracks.

You also state that there are lots of "electrical wires hanging around". Your ignition and spark problems could be as simple as rewiring everything correctly. We won't be able to tell you where every wire goes, you'll have to figure it out yourself using a wiring diagram from a service manual specific to your model.

That is where I'd start. You won't get anywhere doing anything to your bike with "lots of electrical wires hanging around".

What's your location? There may be someone who lives within a few miles who could help you.

ebay manual links:

Last edited by Griffin; 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Before you invest one cent into rebuilding the bike, GET a title for it. Without one, you will not (in most states) be able to register and drive it on the road or insure it. Without a title, it is a parts bike regardless of how well you have it running or how much money you have spent. Its worth nothing without a title.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Forget this one.

Look for a good-running Honda 350 or something similar.

A bike that far 'down the slope' needs a good mechanic with a good supply of tools, enthusiasm and experience, and even that might not be enough. No title? Forget it.
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                  X