Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will an exhaust leak cause a lean condition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will an exhaust leak cause a lean condition?

I put on my new Jardine a few weeks ago, and took the bike on a road trip. When I got home, I noticed that pipe #3 had obviously gotten hotter than the rest and had discolored a bit from being lean. I check it's plug and it was white. I took the header off for cleaning, and noticed #2 exhaust port had an extra gasket in it. So I think maybe pipe #3 wasn't seated properly and leaked. Would that have caused the lean condition on that cylinder? Or should I be looking for something else?
    Last edited by renobruce; 05-18-2008, 06:45 PM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

that is a possibility...

Comment

Exhaust is just that. When the engine is at the point of exhausting, it has already burned the mixture and is through with it. Lean or rich is a function of intake.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Intake boot is leaking or the carb is lean.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

The only other change was going from the V&H to the Jardine.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Not an expert but I think the exhaust leak would draw air into the pipe. Not sure this would cause a lean mixture though as evidence of the white plug. A blue pipe is a likely result.
            Last edited by Nessism; 05-18-2008, 10:38 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              I put on my new Jardine a few weeks ago, and took the bike on a road trip. When I got home, I noticed that pipe #3 had obviously gotten hotter than the rest and had discolored a bit from being lean. I check it's plug and it was white. I took the header off for cleaning, and noticed #2 exhaust port had an extra gasket in it. So I think maybe pipe #3 wasn't seated properly and leaked. Would that have caused the lean condition on that cylinder? Or should I be looking for something else?
              Hi Bruce. The answer is no. As others have correctly pointed out, your lean condition will be on the intake side (lean carb...dirt or change of adjustment etc) or an actual leak between the carb and head (common enough).

Even on a feedback system (a system using an oxygen sensor.....modern electronic fuel injection.....or some carb systems), an exhaust leak might result in a rich mixture (because the O2 sees the lean exhaust and the computer corrects this input by requesting more fuel). Sometimes it isn't even detected

Comment

doesnt adding additional exhaust flow cause a lean condition cause there is no backpressure or less pressure on the engine???

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
                  doesnt adding additional exhaust flow cause a lean condition cause there is no backpressure or less pressure on the engine???
                  That was my thinking as well. If going from a stock pipe to a header leans things out, why wouldn't an exhaust leak?
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
                    Ditto -- it could cause a lean condition back at the plug if it leaked enough.

The question is, how much was it leaking? It seems to me if it was that bad, it would have been really annoyingly noisy, so I'm thinking an experienced rider/wrench such as RB would have noted and tracked down the exhaust leak within about 5 seconds.

It's very hard to tell, though, how much exhaust leak it would take vs. how noisy and noticeable the leak would be.

Guess you'll just have to fix the leak, change the plugs, and see what happens.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

However, if your Jardine flows better than the VH, it could lean it out just a tad. You have the jetting set up for the best result with the VH, right? You may have to change it SLIGHTLY for the Jardine.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                        That was my thinking as well. If going from a stock pipe to a header leans things out, why wouldn't an exhaust leak?
                        She's a controversial point for sure!

Your new Jardine may be causing it but not likely, as you should have noticed all your plugs showing leaness, not just #3. Have you done any radical mods to your GS ????
                        Contrary to what some have said, a chronic exhaust flange leak will change the scavenging efficiency of that pot. Lower back pressure does affect torque and cylinder filling especially at lower rpms. If the leak is that bad, you should hear it under load and experience serious backfiring on decel.
                        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Didn't you say you'd just finished a ride over near TOM (Who lives at Sea Level) in really cold & wet temps???

Surely Sea level = Lean, Cold air = lean.....

Just a thought. Maybe that one needs a pilot fuel screw tweek...

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

AHH, back to the jetting game. Have fun Bruce. :-D
                            If it leaked REALLY bad it would be lean. I would be suprised if you couldn't hear it though.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              Didn't you say you'd just finished a ride over near TOM (Who lives at Sea Level) in really cold & wet temps???

Surely Sea level = Lean, Cold air = lean.....

Just a thought. Maybe that one needs a pilot fuel screw tweek...

Dan
                              I was thinking that, too. But the plug was white when I got home.

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              AHH, back to the jetting game. Have fun Bruce. :-D
                              If it leaked REALLY bad it would be lean. I would be suprised if you couldn't hear it though.
                              I didn't hear any exhaust leaks. If it was leaking, it wasn't leaking much. Maybe this new pipe does flow better, I don't know. But just to be sure, I put on new carb boots, cleaned the carbs, re-adjusted the floats (they were a little high), and adjusted the valves (a few were getting a little tight). I'll get them back on tonight and do a synch and colortune. Then do some chops.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                              X