Overheating issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating issue

Hey guys this is my first post here. I did a search but I did not find a problem like mine.

I have a 1983 gs550e. The other day I was riding and all of a sudden the engine quit, didn't sputter or anything just quit. It would not start again until it had cooled down.

I think it's electrical because mechanically the engine runs and sounds great until about 5 minuets after starting it just dies. I poked around the wires but could not find anything wrong really. I had replaced the RR about a year ago and I did the voltage tests and the charging/electrical system is giving me the correct readings.

I'm so confused

question.. have you tried running it with the petcock in the PRI position? if the float bowls are filling, it'd take a bit for them to empty.. petcock might not be working properly. also try it with the gas cap off. only things i can think of off the top of my head. i'm sure someone with more knowledge will answer shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by immolate5 View Post
      Hey guys this is my first post here. I did a search but I did not find a problem like mine.

I have a 1983 gs550e. The other day I was riding and all of a sudden the engine quit, didn't sputter or anything just quit. It would not start again until it had cooled down.

I think it's electrical because mechanically the engine runs and sounds great until about 5 minuets after starting it just dies. I poked around the wires but could not find anything wrong really. I had replaced the RR about a year ago and I did the voltage tests and the charging/electrical system is giving me the correct readings.

I'm so confused
      Had a similar problem with my 750 some time back. Came to a stop light, sitting there waiting for the light to change, and it just died. Started again after about 15 minutes. Drove a couple of miles and it happened again.

Turned out to be the main fuse. It was one of those glass ones. The cap on one end had mechanically disconnected from the glass tube and from the fuse wire, but it was still making contact. As it heated up, the contact broke. As it cooled, it re-connected.

Comment

Originally posted by tomm View Post
        Had a similar problem with my 750 some time back. Came to a stop light, sitting there waiting for the light to change, and it just died. Started again after about 15 minutes. Drove a couple of miles and it happened again.

Turned out to be the main fuse. It was one of those glass ones. The cap on one end had mechanically disconnected from the glass tube and from the fuse wire, but it was still making contact. As it heated up, the contact broke. As it cooled, it re-connected.
        good call.. and easy to check. while you are at it, if that is the culprit, check out the tips and tricks section, there is a thread about replacing the older style glass fuse blocks with blade connection fuse blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by tomm View Post

Hm... good suggestion! I don't have the glass ones, I got the plastic blade ones. But I will check it, I did a quick lookover and none of them looked broken but I'll swap some of them out with new ones.

Comment

Coils (if they are on their way out) are known to cause problems when they heat up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
              Coils (if they are on their way out) are known to cause problems when they heat up.
              Ah ok, didn't think about that one.

Anyone know of a good way to test if my coils are going bad?

Also thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Gas cap

Be sure to check to see if it's your gas cap vent!!! That sounds to me like a real possibility. Run it until it dies and then release your gas cap. If it makes a "Swoooosh" sound, you've got it figured out....and it will start immediately. By the way, I think the other suggestions are good ones, too.
                Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-19-2008, 01:39 PM.
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Just went outside and ran it for about 7 minutes, and it died and wouldn't restart.

Took the gas cap off and there was no "swoosh", also could not get the petcock to turn to PRI...I didn't want to force it and possibibly break it.

After I have my lunch and it has cooled down, I'll go try it again and this time check the fuses. I still think it's an electrical problem of some sort.

Comment

Petcock

Well, now, I'm leaning towards seuadr's idea....I would suspect it's the petcock. Regardless, you need to find why you can't get it into the prime position. I'd do that first, then check to see how much flow you're getting.
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Get an extra spark plug, when it quits hook up the spare plug & check for spark!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                        Get an extra spark plug, when it quits hook up the spare plug & check for spark!!!
                        Ok I'll try that out tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                          Well, now, I'm leaning towards seuadr's idea....I would suspect it's the petcock. Regardless, you need to find why you can't get it into the prime position. I'd do that first, then check to see how much flow you're getting.
                          The petcock was just stuck I got it into PRI and left the gas cap off and it ran for about 5-6 min then quit again.

After I let it cool down for a few hours I'll do a check on the signal generator. I have the Clymer service manual so that's what i'm following. I'll post results soon.

Comment

Signal Generator Test Results

Engine Cold - Ohm Meeter Readings

Brown and Black/White - 0.367 ohms
                            Green and Black/White - 0.360 ohms

Started Engine ran until it shut off for about 5ish minuets.

Engine Hot - OHm Meeter Readings

Brown and Black/White - 0.395 ohms
                            Green and Black/White - Infienty ohms

Clymer Manual says these readings should be 250 - 500 ohms

This clearly says the Signal Generator is bad...what do you guys think?

But why would the engine start and run cold with the readings so far off?

Comment

How does "overheating" apply to this issue ?? Does the engine get
                              hot where there is a "overtemp" switch and cuts of the electrical ??

Check the fuel delivery by replacing the black gas line with a clear
                              8mm hose so you can monitor the fuel delivery to the carb bowls.
                              When it dies, pull the boots from each spark plug and use a spare
                              plug and place against the engine head. Fire it up and see if it will
                              spark. Note cylinders 1 and 3 run on the same coil, and viceversa
                              with cylinders 2 and 4.

Check the compression to see if the results are at or over 120-125psi,
                              and they are within 25psi of each other. Must have all three to run correctly. No spark is somewhere electrical, and can dig deeper into
                              this area. Fuel delivery if sufficient are carb issues. And engine compression is all mechanical. Valves, rings, etc.....

KT :-D\\/

Comment

Working...
                              X