• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jadesystem View Post
    When it dies, pull the boots from each spark plug and use a spare
    plug and place against the engine head. Fire it up and see if it will
    spark. Note cylinders 1 and 3 run on the same coil, and viceversa
    with cylinders 2 and 4.
    When the engine is hot I pulled the boot and put a spare plug in aginst the head and there is no spark.

I'm pretty sure it's the signal generator now.

I took off the cover and whenever it died I sprayed some electrical contact cleaner (wich is really really cold when it comes out) where the two red boxes are in the picture

Instantally it started right up. I tried this three times with the same exact results...
    Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2008, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Congratulations. It sounds like you have it nailed. Good example of how to methodically go through different possibilities to troubleshoot a problem, each time narrowing it down it a little further.
      Might just make sure you don't have any loose or broken wires in that area before you actually spring for a replacement signal generator.

Comment

Originally posted by immolate5 View Post
        Brown and Black/White - 0.367 ohms
        Green and Black/White - 0.360 ohms

Engine Hot - OHm Meeter Readings

Brown and Black/White - 0.395 ohms
        Green and Black/White - Infienty ohms

Clymer Manual says these readings should be 250 - 500 ohms

This clearly says the Signal Generator is bad...what do you guys think?

But why would the engine start and run cold with the readings so far off?
        Take another look at the display on your meter. Is there any chance that it says 0.367k ohms? That would indicate 367 ohms, right in the middle of the desired range. Look carefully, that "k" might be real small, in the corner of the display. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tomm View Post
          Congratulations. It sounds like you have it nailed. Good example of how to methodically go through different possibilities to troubleshoot a problem, each time narrowing it down it a little further.
          Might just make sure you don't have any loose or broken wires in that area before you actually spring for a replacement signal generator.
          Thanks! You guys have been awesome in helping me.

All of the wires around the area have been visually inspected and look ok, I'm going to replace some of them.

Any suggestions on a new signal generator? Is there one thats an after market that's better than the OEM? Should I get a used one from a salvage yard? Does it have to be from the exact year and make ('83 gs550e) of my bike?

Comment

Working...
          X