CARBSSSSS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CARBSSSSS

Hey yall me again... I am getting into my carbs on my gs1100 and screws are stripping and Im having a heck of a time.. nothing moves on them and I am just beginning to think of dumping them and staring with a new...
    Questions
    1: What carbs will fit on these (82 gs 1100g) ?
    2: Are there any carbs off different bikes that will fit?
    I have my eye on a few that r on ebay and believe me they seem to be a heck of a lot cheaper than paying (if it becomes to much that I decide to throw them at the wall!!!) to have them rebuilt (3-400)....I d like to say I can get these to work but its just not looking good I think they were neglected way too long... I appreciate everyones input and help and hope to get some good responses...

p.s. there is a possiblity that these carbs I have are jetted..(aftermarket exhuast on the bike). how can i tell if this is true?

I know that the 83 GS1100GK uses the Mikuni BS34SS carbs and if I were getting them off of ebay I would try to make sure they were off of an 1100. What screws are stripping on you? I know that the ones that hold them to the gang bars on mine I had to use an impact screw driver with the #3 phillips bit. If these are the ones that are stripping on you I've got some from a set of carbs that I got off of ebay, if you need them let me know I'll send them to you.
    You should be able to get the float bowls off and the main jets will have a # stamped on them that is the size. I'm not real sure what mine are, but will take a look at them when I get home tonight and if no one else has listed the size by tomorrow I'll post it.
    If I were you I'd try to pick up a good used set off of ebay if nothing else then for parts, or if they are in better shape then yours use yours for parts. These carbs are getting to where you have a hard time finding parts for them.
    I've just got through rebuilding the ones off of my 83 GS1100GK and I never would have gotten through it with out the help of some of the great people here. If there is anything I can do to help you just let me know.

Comment

Here's a little trick I just recently discovered. After you have used a tiny brush (electric razors usually have a very small pencil shaped brush on one end), to clean the hole that has the jet you are trying to remove, Blow out the hole. Take a heat gun or a very hot hair drier and heat the area till it is hot to touch, then spray some liquid wrench into the holes. Let it sit a while then use a quality screw driver. Seems to work real well for me.

Do this only after you have removed the diaphrams from the carbs. Chemicals sprayed for cleaning will usually ruin rubber parts and these are extremeley expensive. Even if you get a set of carbs from ebay they will most likely need disassembled, cleaned and adjusted, so you are still going to have to remove their jets anyway.

Comment

What screws are stripping on you? I know that the ones that hold them to the gang bars on mine I had to use an impact screw driver with the #3 phillips bit. If these are the ones that are stripping on you I've got some from a set of carbs that I got off of ebay, if you need them let me know I'll send them to you.

wel so far 90% of them are stripping so no luck... I appreciate the offer and wouldnt mind takeing you up on it if it still holds? thanks

Comment

The offer is still good just pm or email me where to send them to. If others hadn't done the same for me I'd have never gotten mine rebuilt. Thanks to Pete and Terry mine are ready to put back on the bike as soon as I get the swing arm and secondary drive gears back in.

Comment

Don't tear up those screw heads!!

Almost every one of the screw on my carbs were so tight that they would round out almost immediately. I do not believe in impact drivers on something like a carburetor. So, what has worked for me is to use a pair of small tipped vise-grips and grip on the outside of the head of the srew. There is plently of surface area and all of them are accessible this way.

Either get another hand or two to help or figure out how to use a philips screwdriver along with the vise-grips to turn the screw with both tools simultaneously. It has worked every time for me.

Then promptly throw the screws as far as you can away from your bike.

There are several distributors who handle small metric socket head screws in stainless or alloy steel. I have purchased a complete replacement set of stainless screws with washers for about $20.00. I guarantee you won't have a disassembly problem again.

Chumpy

Comment

thats about right on the money chumpy.. I was able to tap a stright blade driver in to a few but the others werent playing as nice...was planning on trying the vise grip Idea you just reinforced my plans

Comment

When all else fails, I have had good luck taking a dremel tool with a cutoff disk in it and cutting a slot in the screw head. So far, I have not found a screw that could not be turned out with this method.

Earl (knock on wood ) :-)

Originally posted by bybowtie

wel so far 90% of them are stripping so no luck... I appreciate the offer and wouldnt mind takeing you up on it if it still holds? thanks
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

A quick way to tell if a jet kit has been installed on CV carbs is to check and see if it has adjustable needles. You should be able to use carbs off the pre 92 GSX-R750s.

Comment

thanks billy but im still not to sure they look fairly normal...I havent a clue what I would be looking for.. First real attempt at carburation(had many a fuel inj cars that iraced and built).. I thank all of you for your help and insight

Comment

Adjustable needles have 5 or 6 different grooves the clips can fit into. stock needles only have one groove. These are the needles on the bottom of the slides.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                        When all else fails, I have had good luck taking a dremel tool with a cutoff disk in it and cutting a slot in the screw head. So far, I have not found a screw that could not be turned out with this method.

Earl (knock on wood ) :-)
                        I did the same when I rebuilt mine. Then I went to the salvage yard and got some more. Used a small pipe cleaner size Dremal brush on the hole treads and a small round Dremal brush on the screw threats and then torqued that back to specs. Havent had a problen since.

Comment

I guess I should have been a little clearer about using the impact driver on the carb screws. The impact driver I have the part that holds the bit fits onto a 3/8" ratchet so I put the #3 phillips bit in it with it attached to a ratchet. This way you can hold down on it with one hand and get much better leverage with the ratchet. Not one of the screws heads stripped on me using this method. Oh and I used the #2 phillips on the float bowls and tops.

Comment

In case you're still looking to know the original jet sizes on a BS34SS. According to my 1982 GS1100G Suzuki Service manual the original jets should be as follows :
                            - main jet #115
                            - Pilot jet #40
                            - Pilot air jet #170

hope this helps

Comment

are they stamped?

Comment

Working...
                              X