Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boring question: installing new clutch cable

Hi

Last time I installed the new clutch cable on my gs850g, I had a hard time hooking it to the handle cause it was hooked to the clutch mechanism (down there). I was pulling and fighting with the wire to have run through the handle thingy. Anyway it's tough to explain... Is the a procedure for installing the cable that makes it easyer?

Thanks!

If both ends are adjusted for maximum slack, there is usually no problem getting the cable into the handle. Move the lower adjuster so the threads are completely engaged into the holder, this gives you the most slack. Same at the lever end, thread the adjuster as far in as you can, then back out just enough to align the slots to get the cable in.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      If both ends are adjusted for maximum slack, there is usually no problem getting the cable into the handle. Move the lower adjuster so the threads are completely engaged into the holder, this gives you the most slack. Same at the lever end, thread the adjuster as far in as you can, then back out just enough to align the slots to get the cable in.

Thanks! I'll try that

Comment

Put the knobby thing on the end of the cable into the lever,THEN put the lever into the handlebar clamp bit.I find this saves a lot of swearing(to be used on later jobs).Cheers,Simon.:-D

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

some clutch cables have an adjuster in the middle of the cable too (under the tank)
          in that case, loosen the mid adjuster, fit both ends and finally tighten the mid part
          GS850GT

Comment

Working...
          X