Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 Boogered carb boot screws Need Advice!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Boogered carb boot screws Need Advice!!

Hello all,

I am trying to replace the O rings on my 82 GS850's carb boots and I boogered 3 of the screws on 3 of the boots. Ant tips on getting these out. I sprayed everything with PB Blaster overnight and am waiting to see what you guys said before proceeding.

The heads are still on, the phillips pattern is just wallowed out too much to get any bite to turn the screws. I have tried an impact screwdriver but can't get it to bite either and I can't get enough swing with a hammer.

Please advise,

Jim
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

Are you talking about the screws on the ring clamps? Just grab the end with some pliers.

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
      Hello all,

I am trying to replace the O rings on my 82 GS850's carb boots and I boogered 3 of the screws on 3 of the boots. Ant tips on getting these out. I sprayed everything with PB Blaster overnight and am waiting to see what you guys said before proceeding.

The heads are still on, the phillips pattern is just wallowed out too much to get any bite to turn the screws. I have tried an impact screwdriver but can't get it to bite either and I can't get enough swing with a hammer.

Please advise,

Jim
      First, you'll want new socket head stainless screws to replace the gooey originals you're about to finish destroying. They're relatively cheap, and much easier to work with. In fact, I recommend a bolt kit for the engine covers too. To remove the gooey originals, you can try slotting them with a dremel. That failed on the last of mine, so I put flats on the side of the screw and locked on with vise-grips. I turned the vise-grips with an open end wrench. Be careful not to cut into the boots if you want to keep them (mine were going anyway.) Also, cover the starter with a rag. The magnets will collect the grinding dust.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Expensive solution (not really a solution, an FYI), but there is a set of carbs for that bike on ebay right now for under $100.00 with only about 7 hours left.

Comment

Vice grips should allow you to break loose the outside screws. Once you have these out, try spinning the entire boot to crack loose the inner screws…hopefully. Even if the inner screws don’t crack loose, rotating the boot will get it out of the way for more vice grip work.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hello all,

Used the Dremel and cut grooves, was able to tap the boots and wiggle the screws free after the tap of a hammer. Thanks for the help, I didn't want to have to pull the things out with visegrips.

Thanks again,

Jim
            GS Score Card
            4-400 Series GS's
            3-500 Series
            1-600 Series
            1-700 Series
            4-800 Series
            1-1000 Series
            2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
              Hello all,

Used the Dremel and cut grooves, was able to tap the boots and wiggle the screws free after the tap of a hammer. Thanks for the help, I didn't want to have to pull the things out with visegrips.

Thanks again,

Jim
              cool! i ended up having to break out the right angle grinder and cut the heads off. i replaced'em with grade 8 adonized allen head bolts

Comment

Working...
              X