Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Gauge

why would my fuel gauge register the fuel level while idling and then when I take off and give her some throttle it pegs over past the E. I would appreciate your input. Thanks for your help!

Johnycon

likely it is the contact bar not pressing good against the resistance board in the sender. when you take off the fuel sloshes around and it looses contact.

Comment

Thanks. so do I have to replace the sending unit,
      or can it be salvaged

Comment

Hi Mr. johnycon,

Check my website for Mr. Jethro's fuel gauge send unit repair guide. It's very informative.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Your fuel gauge fluctuates because it works off a FLOAT! When the fuel moves forward or backward it moves the float. Open the gas cap & see how much gas you have. When it gets low or goes on reserve, GET GAS! Ray.

Comment

You make have to take the float assy/sending unit out of the tank, and
            check the resistance of 100 Ohms across the variable resistor with a
            non-digital analog resistance meter.

Once it is there, and it is stable, and doesn't fluctuate by wiggling it around, you then check the center tap of the "potentiometer" or a.k.a.
            a variable resistor by placing the resistance meter leads to one end of
            the variable resister leads, and the meter lead to the center tap of
            the wire lead.

It should move in resistance as you move the center tap (float). This
            is sending the resistance value, or voltage when the resister is energized, to the fuel gauge where the coils inside the gauge will cause the needle to deflect (electromagnetism) and you get a reading indication against the silkscreen resolution plate of E to F.

Most likely, you have an intermittent open or the wiring at the potentiometer is worn down and shorting. You can see this wear very clearly under a a 10x - 20x microscope. I had to repair it under this technique with an Exacto knife. Very tight windings of .005" yet is repairable.

:-D\\/

end
            of the tap, and the other , a ?manual the DNV
            on one end, and the by /

Comment

Working...
            X