Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Re-build - 1980 GS550E - Pilot Air Screw - HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Re-build - 1980 GS550E - Pilot Air Screw - HELP!

I am doing the carb rebuild and I am to where I remove the Pilot Air screw and I don't have access to one. The bottom picture is what I see. I am right in the middle of it and I am doing it on the dinning room table because I live in an apartment and the sooner I get this done the less mad my girlfriend is going to be at me. Thanks.

Did they not mention that in the carb rebuild series? I've never done it, but if I recall correctly you need to take a drill bit and very gently drill into that cover you have circled. Then pry it off.

Do not drill in too far! You'll drill into the air screw and then you'll have some bigger issues.

Comment

Screw a self tapping screw into the hole in the centre and pull the plug out.

Comment

Oh yeah, it was a screw, not a drill bit. Thanks Don

Comment

Yep, as part of the concessions to US emissions and fuel economy freakout of the time period (like the 85 MPH Speedo) they capped the pilot screw so you couldn't fiddle with it. You have to drill a small hole, put a screw in, and pull the cap out. The screw is underneath. Dynojet kits come with the bit and the screw, but sure they can be found at a good hardware store.
          Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2008, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone. My drill and an old screw got the problem solved. And in the mean time i moved my operation to the second bedroom, maybe to relieve some of my girlfriends stress right now. She is pretty mad that all of my attention the past week has been on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by DMB View Post
              Thanks a lot everyone. My drill and an old screw got the problem solved. And in the mean time i moved my operation to the second bedroom, maybe to relieve some of my girlfriends stress right now. She is pretty mad that all of my attention the past week has been on the bike.
              It only gets worse...
              "Baby, I'd love to go to the park with you today, but I have to rewire my fuseblock!"

Comment

Yeah, my girlfriend used to call my bike my "second girlfriend." She has recently revised that, realizing that she, in fact, is the second girlfriend, and the bike is the first.

Comment

Broken Float Bowl Arm

So I just snapped off the float bowl arm trying to remove the pin that holds the float on. Guess I am going to be looking for a new rack of carbs (I will post a want ad in the want section). I found out yesterday that transferring the title that the bike has not been run in 20 years, and the inside of the carbs look like it. Everything is basically glued together.

Comment

How about just putting some jbweld there? Looks like a clean break

Comment

Sorry for the bad luck about breaking the post. The float post needs to be supported against something before pounding on the pin. I wish the rebuild series detailed information on that critical step. Supporting the post against the side of a work bench seems to work well.

Regarding the girlfriend business, good luck with that! Set the tone early if you can so she get’s used to the way it’s going to be. This can backfire on you though so I take no responsibility for what happens if you exert your rights.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Be gentle!!!!!!!!!

DMB, You have to be gentle with that procedure because of what happened, turn the carb body on the side with the float pin down place a small 1/4 inch socket underneath it, make sure the pin is able to go through the socket, gently tap the pin with an awl, 8 penny nail, a set and use a lite weight hammer on a sturdy work area. Once the pin comes out use a suitable tool to remove it. Reverse procedure to install. Carbs are getting hard to come by, and that will slow down the process of getting on it and rideing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bmac

Comment

Working...
                        X