Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP - Newbie question #2 - where do the hoses go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP - Newbie question #2 - where do the hoses go?

Hello again,

Well I got the carbs & hoses & pods back on, but during this process, tank came off rather inauspiciously, before I had the chance to figure out where everything goes.

So now I have 3 hoses that I can't figure out (none is the main fuel line to the carbs - I have that accounted for. What I have are:

1. A hose that goes to the back of the bike & vents out - looks like an overflow line

2. A smaller tube that comes off the space in front and between the 1 & 2 carbs (numbering from left to right)

3. A larger tube that comes off the space behind & between the 1 & 2 carbs.

I only see two connections on the tank - one opposite the main fuel line on the petcock, and one near the sending unit. I think the overflow line goes to the connection by the sending unit & the larger line between the carbs seems to fit the larger nipple across from the main fuel line on the petcock. If I'm right, where does the other one go?

Thanks!

Chris

Your first hose sounds like it might be the emergency drain hose that connects to the fuel level sender under the tank. It is there only in case the gasket leaks, and will direct fuel away from the top of the engine.

The other two hoses, the smaller one probably connects to a nipple on the top of carb #2. It is a vacuum hose and connects to the smaller nipple on the petcock. The larger hose is, in fact, your main fuel hose, and connects to the larger nipple on the petcock.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I've now isolated the main fuel line that connects between the 2 & 3 carbs, and the overllow line.

I have two left that continue to elude me. One looks like the main fuel line, but a little smaller (which originates at the back between carbs 1 & 2), the other does not look like a fuel line, is smaller & glossy rubber (which originates on the front side between carbs 1 & 2)

I'm near certain the thicker line goes to the open nipple on the petcock & it fits properly, but I have no good clue what to do with the smaller one.

I was told there are only two fule lines (and the emergency lines) to account for when removing the tank. Is this correct? If so, the mystery tube doesn't go to the tank at all but somewhere else.

Chris
      Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2008, 07:46 PM. Reason: to correct front/back reference

Comment

This is going to be a really random first post but.... Fuel system talk sounds really dirty... what with the petcocks and nipples all over the place... Anyway, I lost my hoses too. But found them thanks to this post. Thanks.

Comment

Hi Mr. 82 750e,

This thread has some pictures that may help, especially post #9.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you so much - I did what I should have done in the first place & used the search feature to find that same picture. Solved my problem instantly, save for the fact that someone seems to have replaced those hoses at some point since the vacuum hose appears thicker than the vent tube. At least it's back together now, & I need to get another vent tube since there is nothing between the 3 & 4 on my bike.

Chris

Comment

Those 2 10mm hoses you are referring to - they both go in-between
              Carbs 1-2 and 3-4 respectively. They are both air vents !! Nothing more.

The other hoses are for main fuel inlet in the carb (from the gas tank)
              and the vacuum line from the carb (to the fuel petcock). This allows
              gas to run down when vacuum is created and present when the engine
              is running.

KT :-D\\/

Comment

Thank you so much everyone for all your help. The bike is back together (even if I dropped the tank on the pavement yesterday... ugh) and runs better than it ever has. Even took care of the sticky throttle - and learned something else odd about this bike - there is only one throttle line, not two like I've become used to & as are described in the owner's manual.

Anyhoo, the thing runs great & I'm happy, even if it is a bit ugly now that the tank is bashed.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X