junkyard diamond in the rough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

junkyard diamond in the rough?

went to Skips (cincinnati metric motorcycle junk yard) and they had an 85 gs700es not running with no title for $1200... and the guy told me he would have to cut it in half before i hauled it off. what a great deal huh?

i went there looking for some 2into1 pipes and they wanted $300 for a set of old rusty gs pipes.

long story short, they got told to get bent and i left empty handed.

anybody have advise on finding a set of 2into1 pipes to fit my gs700e? im tried of grinding my exhaust whenever i take a hard right turn.

sam.

Hmmm. No advice on the pipes I'm afraid, except to ask for clarification. When you say 2-into-1 pipes, do you mean one half of a 4-into-1 exhaust?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Sam

Sam, you've left me totally confused. Was he going to cut the bike in half? Would he sell you half of the bike for $600? Were both halves priced the same...or was the front half more expensive than the back half?

Decisions, decisions.....8-[

P.S. Take some hard lefts and everything will match up!
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by xkalelx View Post
        went to Skips (cincinnati metric motorcycle junk yard) and they had an 85 gs700es not running with no title for $1200... and the guy told me he would have to cut it in half before i hauled it off. what a great deal huh?

i went there looking for some 2into1 pipes and they wanted $300 for a set of old rusty gs pipes.

long story short, they got told to get bent and i left empty handed.

anybody have advise on finding a set of 2into1 pipes to fit my gs700e? im tried of grinding my exhaust whenever i take a hard right turn.

sam.
        Dude, who did you deal with at Skips? 1st off, its not a metric junkyard, its just the fact that over the years there are way more metric bikes wrecked, abused, neglected and trashed that end up in junkyardxs, period. Ask TCK ans n1elkyfan about the BUS fulll of carbs as you walk in to the left. Anyway, I could tell you 3 separate personal transactions ther in the last 5 years that would definitely make the term caveat emptor forefront in your consciousness next time you go there.
        Skip, the old man, is OLD, paranoid and has a couple of derilict alcoholic sons, and more than one alcoholic grandkid hanging out. He also has a few employess that would as well shaft you as help you, depending on your 1st impression on them. Then ,theres the alcoholic toothless lady and her "man" that apparently live there. DONT deal with them, I don't think they have thumbs. Get my drift? Don't get me wrong. There are TONS of suzuki parts there, and back behind the main shack where the yrebuild the Harleys and other big dollar bikes, they have probably 75 to 100 ikes fairly complete rollers with out tanks or seats, but mostly complete and ready to rebuild or scavenge for parts.

Comment

Sounds like a great gig. :?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Cut it in half?? I saw that bike. I was there just a couple weeks ago. WHY would he cut it in half? Because it has no title and he cant sell running bikes with no titles? Or because he isnt supposed to sell running bikes, title or not for insurance purposes? Id throw him an extra 100 spot or a couple bottles of Old Peculiar to pretend he cut it in half.

Comment

Yeah 1200 for a non runner with no title is high to begin with. After the torch job it's nothing but parts. Thank God for the internet, ebay and the GSR because if these bozos were all we had to deal with I would not be riding a 27 year old bike.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

TCK and n1elkyfan dropped a frame off there a couple Sundays ago for me. The old toothless hag and the Kris Kringle lookin dude were there, as well as Skips number 2 alky son. It was kinda like Deliverance meets Motorcycle junkyard heaven. They can tell you the wonders they took in. It's another case of a (possibly inbred) family running a business sittin on a fortune and abusing the clientele. But that bus full o' carbs!!!!:shock::shock: Man, what I wouldn't give to be a ninja and make off with some of that stuff in the mddle of the night. I remember once I was told that the only way they'd let a titled, running bike out of there when they sold it was if you had full gear, a valid bikers license,insurance, and proof of having taken the safety course. They've got about 10 running bikes at any time, and they run good! Just gotta get past the families' attitude.

Comment

There is a metric bone yard like that in NH. Want crazy prices for everything. I don't think they have caught on to this new fangled computer thingy. Meaning they no longer have the corner on the local scrap parts market.

Off the top of my head the people in NH wanted:

$20 per rust chipped directional
                  $30 per rusty soft shock
                  $160 for a set of gauges

etc etc etc

I said **** off, waste of gas. I will order from eBay.

Comment

I really hate the inflated prices that people constantly charge for used and even new motorcycle parts. Sure, I understand supply and demand, I even understand "I want or NEED it now!" but really, when the internet came into town, monopolies on parts should have come down, and oddly enough, it really hasn't.

I shop on ebay all the time, I even sell on ebay. Easy to make a few bucks, but buying on ebay is expensive too. I mean who charges 19.99 to ship a freakin headlight? LOL, yeah, right! I know ebay has the monopoly on auctions, but I also know that if you look around, there are other auction sites that don't cost a fortune to sell things, like ebay seller fees...again, way over priced. With the billions of people selling, they are mega rich, and only getting richer.

I will see if I can locate some other auction sites that sells bike parts, and see what happens.

Sorry that the quest for your pipes are so difficult. I know it use to be like looking for dinosaur teeth, probably have better luck there, when it comes to finding parts for an older bike. And why dealers cost so much is another problem.

Wish I could just import directly out of japan, probably be cheaper....

Comment

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
                      I really hate the inflated prices that people constantly charge for used and even new motorcycle parts................
                      Wish I could just import directly out of japan, probably be cheaper.
                      Don't bet on that. In Australia, Japanese investors / collectors have been buying up old bikes and shipping them back to Japan. Whilst they still have a lot of stuff over there that they are willing to sell, they are slowly realising just how collectable a lot of this stuff is becoming. Things like 'first generation' Katanas and GSXR's are staring to creep up in price now and the Japs have realised this.

Start hoarding my friends, the end is nigh!!!! :shock:

Comment

I'm fortunate that the boneyard near me is run by realistic people who keep the lights on by repairing bikes. They have prices close to ebay with a generous return policy. The only drawback is that all their stock is out in the rain, lots of parts and motors full of water. I told the owner that if they just threw blue tarps over the stuff they could maintain their inventory but they don't care. Once a year they clean the yard up, junk any carcases that are stripped bare, and start over again.

Many of these places make money by getting wrecked or police impounds and charging a fortune for the tow and storage. The owner ends up with a 200 dollar bill to get his bike back from them. Others do it the old fashioned way by paying nothing for title-less bikes and parting them out. My local place has removed most parts like side covers, electrical, brake, tanks, and other items and they keep that stuff inside. The basement is a treasure trove of spare parts going back to the sixties. But a lot remains in the rain.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

sorry, when i said i was looking for a 2into1 header, i was refering to a 4into2 header... ive got a 4into1 single muffler. i want a duel muffler so i can take right turns without throwing sparks.

like i said, i had a terrible first impression of that place... i bet i only caught a handful of american made bikes in the 1000+ bike yard... i just assumed it was a metric place.

the old man i can only assume was skip gave me some sob story about how they spend so much money around christmas time buying bikes from folks who need cash for christmas gifts, then spend the whole summer getting "jewed" by folks looking for cheap quality parts and how they can barely afford to keep the light on at night while eating pork and beans.

i understand that arguement... but COME ON... im not giving you $300 for 30yr old rusted pipes.

also according to the old man... if they dont have a title for a complete bike, they have to cut it in half (ohio dot/bmv rules maybe?). he told me i can choose where ever i wanted to have it chopped so i can weld it back together later. i told him it would rot into the ground before i bought it. and off i went.

Comment

Working...
                          X