Speedo repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo repair

Might be living in the past but does anyone out there still rebuild speedos? I keep missing out on the ebay units.
    Mine periodically goes into screaming howling fits that are almost as loud as my horn. Whenever this happens I can see the needle sort of kicking back & forth a few miles an hour and when I put my hand on the speedo I can feel the vibrations through my gloves.
    Seems to be worse in cold temps but can happen at any time, mostly at speeds below 50 or 55 mph.
    Hoping there is hop for it.
    Thanks,
    DH

Speedo

First, I would eliminate the possibility that it's the speedometer drive at the wheel or the cable, itself.

There used to be places that repaired speedometers but, since almost nothing like that is mechanical anymore, they've pretty much disappeared. You could look on the internet to see what you could find but the easiest and best course of action is probably to look on ebay and find another one...which shouldn't be terribly hard (or expensive).
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Speedo repair

Thanks Chucky Cheese,
      Have replaced both drive & cable. I have been tracking units on ebay, really need the exact year/model but missed the last one as I got home after bidding ended & one before got outbid by a speedo desperado.

Appreciate the input.

Douglas

Comment

My suggestion

Have you tried lubing the speedo itself? Pull the cable and unit off and hit the innards with some silicone lube or WD-40 and see if that takes care of the problem.

Comment

Working...
        X