Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Carb jetting question.

Hello everyone,
    I have spent my free time over the last couple days searching on many of your posts looking for the answer to my carb issue. I have tried some of your suggestions, but frankly I am pretty Carb stupid (please forgive me).

I found a 1982 Suzuki GS1100e with 25K miles stored in a buddy’s garage for the last 10 years. He told me it ran perfectly when he last rode it. I put the motor into a new frame (no motor mods), redid much of the wiring, checked the valve clearance, replaced the plugs, and replaced the stock coils (I have good spark). I removed the stock airbox and replaced it with the small air filter pods. I also removed the stock exhaust and I am running the MAC’s 4 into 2 but without the muffler section. With this setup, the bike ran on 3 cylinders (1,2,&4), backfired, idled like crap, and had slow throttle response. I decided to add a Dyna jet kit, but due to time constraints I made the mistake of taking it to a “professional”. He installed the jet kit, which fixed the idle issue and brought the 3rd cylinder to life. But when I picked it up, he told me there was a “slight hesitation” at quarter throttle which played out to be the bike would nearly stall out after quarter throttle. He suggested that I move the clips on the needles to position 5 from 3 if I had problems. I have moved the clips along between positions 2-6 testing every time. Position 2 and 4 have no power after quarter throttle and the motor bogs down. Position 5-6 run fine around town (with lots of backfiring), but cuts out around 50mph on the highway when I attempt to speed up past 50. After reading one post, I thought that my issues may be related to the idle screws, so I returned the needle clip to position 3 and adjusted the idle fuel mixture screw half turn in both directions with very minimal effects. I am now confused and not sure what to do next. Any suggestions? If I am beyond help, does anyone know of a good carb guy around Minneapolis, MN?

Thank you for subjecting yourself to my long story.
    Doug
    Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2008, 05:31 AM.

Before jetting the carbs they need to be cleaned and new o-rings installed.

Is the petcock good?
    Last edited by chef1366; 05-19-2008, 11:18 PM.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Did you get your old jets back when the "professional" did the carbs?

Personally, I would go back to stock airbox and carbs, at least to make sure everything else is working. If you really feel that you must, go ahead and put the pods and pipe on, but why no muffler? Not gonna preach about the noise here, but it just wreaks havoc with the way the engine runs, too.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Did you get your old jets back when the "professional" did the carbs?

Personally, I would go back to stock airbox and carbs, at least to make sure everything else is working. If you really feel that you must, go ahead and put the pods and pipe on, but why no muffler? Not gonna preach about the noise here, but it just wreaks havoc with the way the engine runs, too.

I know Jack Schitt now. Thanks \\/

Dirty Dog. :-D
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The profesional and I cleaned the carbs. We did not dunk them, but I wiped them out. Which o-rings should I have replaced? The petcock is new, but I will check the screen.

I did not get the stock jets back, but I will see if he still has them. I assume that each stock carb is adjusted per motor? I have considered buying a new carb, but I assume I would be just adding another variable?

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
          X