Proud Owner/New Member - A Little Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proud Owner/New Member - A Little Confused

Hi guys, I've enjoyed reading through your site and I look forward to being able to gain more knowledge and hopefully pass it along as well.

I have two questions; the first is a niggly one concerning my '81 GS1000. The side-cover is marked with an L but apparently my local parts shops call it a GL. I live in Canada and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. It is a shaft-drive. I bought the bike locally (just outside of Vancouver, B.C.) and it was well looked after and garage-stored so it was a no-brainer to buy it but I didn't know much about these Suzuki's before (I've owned 3 Honda 750's previously). Which leads me to my second question. I had to replace the front tire so I took the wheel off and had it changed over at the shop; brought it back, put it on and in the process squeezed the pistons into the calipers to make enough wiggle room. I got it all back together and then realized I have two small metal shims about an inch long with offsetting small tabs at each end. I tried putting them in where I thought they should fit from the clean spots on top of the disc pads but could not make it work. I did not see where they fell out from on disassembly and nowhere in the manual that I have (apparently a no-good Haynes manual) does it reference these spacers or shims. To boot, now I can't get the brakes to bleed. I pulled in the lever once and got no return on it at all. Have left it overnight, a day, a second day but still no joy. Fluid was at the proper level (enough to spill some over the top while compressing the pistons) and both bleeder valves work and were pulled out to check and clean them. I've done this kind of work before and have never had this problem. The brake lines appear to be in good shape (no bulging) and the bike had no problem this past riding season (was stored in October) no sponginess or otherwise. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to all and keep up the good work.

It is a GS1000GL. The G is for shaft drive and the L is for the cruiser style.

Go here for more info:

Basscliff will be here soon to give you the "Official GS Resource Welcome".

Hap
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2008, 11:29 PM. Reason: Second thought

Comment

L stands for cruiser
      G stands for shaft drive

Hope the pic helps

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The shim you speak of is part #7 on the exploded drawing. If they fell off, then that means the tabs on the sides are probably broken off, they should stay on pretty tight. I have one that floats free, they are a pain to get back on. The tabs on the tops of the pads slide on them.

Comment

Shim City

Hey thanks guys, you were absolutely correct in nailing item #7 in the exploded diagram. I will find them their proper home and hopefully be able to figure out just why the hell I can't get any pressure in the lines to bleed them. I will attempt to start at the top and work my way down and see if I can find it. Do you know if there is an aftermarket braided line for the suzuki's in canada?

Comment

Working...
          X