airbox snorkle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airbox snorkle?

my airbox snorkle is unseated a little, and i can't seem to get it back into place on the bike. i would really like to avoid taking the airbox off.. will one corner sticking out cause problems? i can take it back off, but i think i'll have to epoxy the snorkle back on, cause it's always a pain in the butt to stick on with the snorkle attached. opinions?

I don't have a snorkel on the back of my airbox. Tried to find one but couldn't and eventually just said the hell with it. Bike runs great without it IMHO. Little noisier on the intake noise but not objectionable to me. Without the snorkel I think I am probably pulling a bit more air volume than with it on but setting the pilot fuels @ 3 turns out seems to do the trick.

Comment

I would take the box off and make sure the snorkel is back on in the correct position. Unless the mounting flange on the snorkel is cut it should go on and stay on without using epoxy. I am no carb expert but I think you would run lean with the airleak from the corner being off and it would affect the cylinders closest to the leak the most.
      82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
      81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
      83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
      06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
      AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

I had a tough time getting my snorkel back onto my 850 when the airbox was out. If I had to think about installing it with the airbox on the bike... Well, I'd pull the airbox. I'm getting pretty good at getting the boots back onto the carbs. At any rate, they're easier than the snorkel, IMO.

I don't think I like the epoxy idea either. I'm not sure of the bond quality you can get without some prep work on the snorkel and airbox. And to me, using epoxy here is a little too close to duct taping it because you're just too frustrated to do it right and be done with it.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

well, the problem is.. "right" falls out. this is the third time i've had to take the airbox to re-attach the snorkle. it just doesn't want to stay in. i don't see how to make it stay short of some sort of adhesive.

i planned on fully prepping the snorkle and airbox for an adhesive, not just tossing some on haphazard. i'd also thought of using automotive "goop" it's been pretty effective for me in the past for flexable applications.

i guess its not hard or anything, as it's easy as cake to stick back in when it's out of the bike, but seems to come out when on the bike with use (vibration?).

any recommendations on how to get it to stay in there without some sort of adhesive?
          Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2008, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
            well, the problem is.. "right" falls out. this is the third time i've had to take the airbox to re-attach the snorkle. it just doesn't want to stay in. i don't see how to make it stay short of some sort of adhesive.

i planned on fully prepping the snorkle and airbox for an adhesive, not just tossing some on haphazard. i'd also thought of using automotive "goop" it's been pretty effective for me in the past for flexable applications.

i guess its not hard or anything, as it's easy as cake to stick back in when it's out of the bike, but seems to come out when on the bike with use (vibration?).
            OH. That's different. Well, if it falls out, I guess it would be easy to get it back in. New ones aren't available anymore, IIRC. I won't be much help on adhesive selection either. I've never used Goop, and my experience with epoxy is limited to model airplanes and shoe heels. If your experience tells you it will hold, then that sounds like the way to go. Can it be cleaned up if it doesn't do the job?
            Dogma
            --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              OH. That's different. Well, if it falls out, I guess it would be easy to get it back in. New ones aren't available anymore, IIRC. I won't be much help on adhesive selection either. I've never used Goop, and my experience with epoxy is limited to model airplanes and shoe heels. If your experience tells you it will hold, then that sounds like the way to go. Can it be cleaned up if it doesn't do the job?
              aye, it's pretty flexable, much like permatex, only it won't take a whole lot of heat. come to think of it.. i could try black permatex and staple or wire it in.. :rubs chin:

Comment

aye, it's pretty flexable, much like permatex, only it won't take a whole lot of heat. come to think of it.. i could try black permatex and staple or wire it in.. :rubs chin:
                Hmm. Can you arrange a loop of something metallic that would prevent it from collapsing out of the hole? If you bent a coat hanger so that it pushed against the corners... No, I'm getting back to duct-tape-land. Music wire would be acceptable.
                Dogma
                --

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Snorkle

I've been reading your posts regarding possible 'fixes' but I can't imagine what in the world you're referring to....where's the snorkle and what is it???
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                    I've been reading your posts regarding possible 'fixes' but I can't imagine what in the world you're referring to....where's the snorkle and what is it???
                    On the back of the airbox there should be (depending on model, I suppose) a hard rubber tube thingy that draws air from under the seat area. The cross-section of the tube might be something like a 20 x 70 mm rectangle. It connects to the airbox at the rear of the filter chamber.
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

snorkle issue

Hi,

apparently it is not only the volume of air that is drawn in the airbox that changes with/without the snorkle, it has also to do with the turbulences for the 4 carbs...you will have more disturbances in the airbox without the snorkle attached (and that is not a good thing for setting up the carbs, as it is more difficult than if each carb would have had more stable air coming in).

Let me know please how you install the airbox back onto the bike, I have the same issue on mine but only read threads on 'how difficult' it is to take off and re-install the airbox. I would really like to know a good way of re-installing it (if that would exist).

Comment

my airbox snorkle is unseated a little, and i can't seem to get it back into place on the bike. i would really like to avoid taking the airbox off.. will one corner sticking out cause problems? i can take it back off, but i think i'll have to epoxy the snorkle back on, cause it's always a pain in the butt to stick on with the snorkle attached. opinions?
                        I've had mine off and on a few times and it seems like the rubber seal is plenty big enough to hold it. I'm thinking maybe those rubber lips on yours are bad, or it's not fitting all the way into place.

If it falls out I'd use Goop, or something like it that stays soft.

...I also think it's way easier to put the snorkel on the airbox when it's off the bike, then put the airbox back on.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryA_Texas View Post
                          . I'm thinking maybe those rubber lips on yours are bad, or it's not fitting all the way into place.
                          that may be.. i've had no luck locating a new one though

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            On the back of the airbox there should be (depending on model, I suppose) a hard rubber tube thingy that draws air from under the seat area. The cross-section of the tube might be something like a 20 x 70 mm rectangle. It connects to the airbox at the rear of the filter chamber.
                            Thank you for the explanation! I can't quite envision it but neither of my bikes has one. Mine draws air from a hole in the right side.
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Brake clean or rubbing alcohol to clean the area. Ultra Black permatex to bond the item to the box; give it 24 hours to cure.

Comment

Working...
                              X