No announcement yet.

airbox snorkle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shafty's right. Mine was even a little disfigured. I did the same routine he suggests, although I used some handy dandy laquer thinner on a rag to clean and prep. Ultra black permatex is the shiznitz.

Comment

airbox snorkel

One thing you could do is make an aluminum flange, one eighth thick,with a one inch border all around, so that it covers the lip on the inside of the airbox.Then you can drill some holes all around the flange and the airbox.if the inside is not flat you could easly bend the aluminum to fit.A few machinists screws and washers for the outside of the airbox and it will never slip out again.One thing to check is the width of the border ,make sure it's wide enough ,so you don't drill into the rubber on the outside of the snorkel.D'ont know if it will work but i would check to see if it can be done.

Comment

i ended up sealing it on with marine goop, so it's still flexable and removable but stuck in place.. and it worked great! it even seems to have elminiated the slight lean pop i got at idle.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
          i ended up sealing it on with marine goop, so it's still flexable and removable but stuck in place.. and it worked great! it even seems to have elminiated the slight lean pop i got at idle.
          Excellent! Nice and simple, if not pretty.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Airbox snorkel source or work around???

Current project: 77 GS750 in final clean up / update stage

.... read the threads - lesson learned - mounting the snorkel is a pain .... but I don't have a snorkel to mount! Is there a source for a NOS or aftermarket snorkel? If not - does anyone have a good work around (replacement) idea?

Thanks
            Dom

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
              I've been reading your posts regarding possible 'fixes' but I can't imagine what in the world you're referring to....where's the snorkle and what is it???
              It's a shaftie thing... you wouldn't understand.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                It's a shaftie thing... you wouldn't understand.
                Maybe he would, we just need to take time to explain it to him.

The snorkel acts as a straightening vane to bring air to the airbox in a laminar flow pattern. This will supply air to each carbs at an equal amount of cfm.
                If snorkel is not installed, and because of system effects, turbulence will create uneven pressure drops throughout the inside of the airbox. Air takes the least resistive path.

Also, the air has un upward flow path through the filter from the bottom of the airbox. This means you have more chances of picking up dirt and water mist. The location of the snorkel inlet reduces that, taking air from a more stable environment.

McLoud
                '79 GS850
                `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                sigpic
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Originally posted by ddominik View Post
                  Current project: 77 GS750 in final clean up / update stage

.... read the threads - lesson learned - mounting the snorkel is a pain .... but I don't have a snorkel to mount! Is there a source for a NOS or aftermarket snorkel? If not - does anyone have a good work around (replacement) idea?

Thanks
                  Dom
                  I looked at mine which is slightly mangled and it would be possible to make one from some alluminium sheeting. Which can be fixed with a gasket to seal with self tapping screws to the existing box. I should be able to get my box out with it fitted it seems, not sure on other models. The hardest part will be the getting the rounded corner opening a nice flush fit, but that part can be sealed permanently with some good epoxy if the snorkel never has to come off and does not inhibit removing the box. One could easily even braze or solder a metal one in place.
                  Presently the rubber can give a bit and allows some extra movement.

Comment

Working...
                  X