Anyone bought one of these MCs on Ebay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone bought one of these MCs on Ebay?

It must be some made-in-China piece to be this cheap but I figured I would ask and see if anyone has had a good experience with one of these? Mine is about the only thing on my bike worth replacing.

Josh

I have it. It's better than what I was using.

Edited to add: I'm not sure the specifics, but there's a thread in performance mods where AOD was talking about ideal master cylinder ratios. the 14mm diameter came much closer to an ideal ratio than the stock. I can say it looks nice, seems solid and does the job for now. I think I might still be chasing bubbles around the system so it's hard to get a good grasp on how much of an improvement it is.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I did at well

The main reason I bought it was to get the 14 mm piston size v.s. the 5/8 piston to improve the leverage ratio and get more force at the caliper (with more stroke at the lever). The part is pretty nice although not an exact match for my old OEM part on the GS1100ED. Bike still coming apart err I mean together so no Chance to try it yet.

read about the FRT master cylinder modifications and various pad stuff here.

Posplayr

Comment

Wow, the Master Cylinder looks great. If the price is right, I would jump
        at it or buy a good used original one and rebuild it with a kit.

I'm very leery of Chinese quality unless it is well designed and good reversed re-engineering. Don't buy flea market crap like Chinese tools. Remember, your life is on the line with efficient braking capabilities.

\\/

Comment

I have one from that guy, but the single disc version for the 550. It works as advertised and the switch is a step up from stock.

Comment

I have one, works great. It's pretty big. I had to hack on my emgo fairing to get it to fit over that monster.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              The main reason I bought it was to get the 14 mm piston size v.s. the 5/8 piston to improve the leverage ratio and get more force at the caliper (with more stroke at the lever). The part is pretty nice although not an exact match for my old OEM part on the GS1100ED. Bike still coming apart err I mean together so no Chance to try it yet.

read about the FRT master cylinder modifications and various pad stuff here.

Posplayr
              PERFECT! Thanks a lot! I'm ordering one now. I've got stainless lines ready, I'm going to remove the anti-dive setup and rebuild the calipers too. I'm pretty sure I'll be set at that point!

Comment

It doesn't have provisions for the mirror

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                  Mine does

Comment

Hi,
                    I do not want to confuse this issue, but the GS's with double disks and single piston calipers use a 5/8" M/C piston diameter and this is just under 16mm. For the single disks they usually use a 1/2" diameter which is just under 13mm.
                    The narrower diameter of 14mm means more travel of the lever on double disks, as more fluid neads to be moved to two calipers with rather large pistons. On the larger diameter M/C the lever thus moves a shorter distance before the brakes bite.
                    It should work, but not exactly as it was designed to do and I thought you should be aware of this. Also make sure that a service kit is available in the future if you ever need it, rubber seals, piston, boot etc.
                    You will most probably get some replys on preferences for using both, read them and decide if you are really happy to change what the original engineers designed as the best size for the bike, especially the brakes, the most important item on your bike!
                    Remember its your life and maybe your passengers that will mostly be dependant on that little box on your handle bars!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      you can also order for a few bucks the clamshell half peice with a mirror mount from bike bandit.

Comment

Matchless is Right

Don't just blindly grab this MC as an OEM replacement. This is a 14 mm MC and the typical dual disk setup has a 5/8" diameter piston MC. So it is smaller and will increase the leverage you feel at the lever (i.e. more lever travel required). The reason I am going that way can be found in the link below. Because it is 14 mm is the SPECIFIC reason I bought this MC NOT AS AN OEM REPLACEMENT!!

When you get to that part of the link you will find that I'm doing a sintered pad upgrade as well. If the MC doesn't feel right I can ditch it for the $65 it cost. But all indications are that this provides better leverage and the combination of better initial bite of the FERODO Sintered front
                        and higher caliper pressure should allow me to do stoppies if I have to :-D.

Quote:
                        so if someone wants to call Michael at Vintage Brake and run that by him,
                        We talked about it , he seemed a little distracted (he was trying to write up the order or pads). We also discussed surfacing the disks and as we were finally ending the conversation he lights up and said "wow you are really going to notice the upgrades". OK So now I'm really looking forward to it. \\/ Safety First :grin:

83 GS1100ED brake upgrades
                        FERODO Sintered front
                        FERODO PLATINUM rear
                        Fresh surfaced rotors
                        New 14mm Master Cylinder (looking for someone else to verify)
                        New Slave cylinder kits

Existing SS lines

Posplayr

Matchless, Thanks I also put in a question to the seller to see if there are replacement parts. The add says:

PISTON BORE DIAMETER 14MM ,compatible with HONDA LEVER R HANDLEBAR 53175-MR1-671, Banjo Bolt 10x1.25 mm thread pitch

I'm not sure if that can be used to cross reference a MC rebuild kit?

P.S. there is a mirror mount right next to the reservoir and the part looks to be very well made and a welcome replacement after looking at the old and cracked (window) OEM one the bar.

Updated:

Dear posplayr,

I have not this kit available yet, will receive shortly. compatible with honda kits.

- usa-motorcycles-inc

Posplayr
                        Last edited by posplayr; 05-21-2008, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Here is a better choice:

Part #08-0265

Master Cylinder Assembly - 16mm bore. - Recommended for late dual disc Front
                          brakes on 1977-84 XS650’s or single front disc brake (1972-76 650’s). Yamaha
                          OEM type. Complete with brake lever, brake light switch, banjo bolt and washers.

Comment

And why's that a better choice?

Comment

I've got that with dual discs.
                              Two fingered stopping. Looks great.

Comment

Working...
                              X