Turn signal conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal conversion

Has anyone here changed the stock single filament turn signal sockets to a dual socket to add running lights to the turn signal? I have thought about doing this just to be more visible, especially at night. Might use leds to hold down on current draw. I want to keep the stock turn signals.

Greg o

Cooking with electrons

Hi Mr. Greg O,

I've been considering this too. Here's what I'm looking at:

Or you could just buy some three-wire turn signals, bolt them on and wire them up.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You could also use a few diodes and a resistor to make a single filament do both jobs

Comment

My Vetter fairing uses the turn signals as running lights. Give me a day or two, and I could give you a chart to hook up a double filamet bulb set-up.:-D

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi Mr. Greg O,

I've been considering this too. Here's what I'm looking at:

Or you could just buy some three-wire turn signals, bolt them on and wire them up.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Thanks BassCliff,
          I would like to keep the original lights if possible. I also noticed in the link that you posted that amber lights are not legal in the rear of a vehicle. I should have known that, but didn't think about it. Another method would be to add a pair of red lights, but not sure how I would do this and still make it look good. Could also use red lenses, if available, or clear with red bulbs, if clear lenses are available.

Just thinking out loud

Greg

Comment

It's easy as pie.

Go to local autoparts store and buy dual filament sockets, smaller the better.

Replace socket inside turn signal housing with dual filament socket and bulb.

Run a wire from a 12V switched to the extra wire.

Done.

(As far as the rear, you would have to find a red lens source, which I could not find, so I went with LEDs)

Comment

If you use red LEDs inside the yellow signals on the rear, they will show up on the red side of orange. If you use enough of them, they will look red enough so it won't matter.

For the front signals, most of the larger bikes had the running lights as standard equipment. I used a set of 850 signals on the 650 with no problem. There is an unused brown wire in the headlight bucket that will supply power to the running lights. Nicely enough, there is also a black/white wire for the ground. You only need to make a splitter so both of the lights will plug in.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                If you use red LEDs inside the yellow signals on the rear, they will show up on the red side of orange. If you use enough of them, they will look red enough so it won't matter.

For the front signals, most of the larger bikes had the running lights as standard equipment. I used a set of 850 signals on the 650 with no problem. There is an unused brown wire in the headlight bucket that will supply power to the running lights. Nicely enough, there is also a black/white wire for the ground. You only need to make a splitter so both of the lights will plug in.

Duh! I forgot about the brown wire lol. I wired my running lights into the headlight low beam wire :P

Comment

Working...
                X