No announcement yet.

Changing handlebars 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your handlebars are large now, going to Daytonas or Superbikes may make a throttle issue appear. When I replaced my stock L bars with Superbikes, my throttle cable was instantly about 80 feet too long, and bound up when I turned the wheel right. Revved through the roof, and was REAL fun on the street (not). Adjusted to compensate, but it's still way too long.
    Always, always, always, do a full stop to stop throttle check when installing bars or running new cables! Throttle should snap closed in every position.

I use a hair dryer to help loosen the old grips. Careful with the screws that hold the throttle and light switch...they can strip.

~Adam

Comment

I got my superbike bars installed and after a few tugs here and there and a reroute or two I got it done. What I ended up doing is pulling some cable back under the tank and arcing them up along the backbone along with the clutch cable. Then I sat in the driveway with it running and turned the handle bars back and fourth to make sure there was zero bind....goood to go and they look great. I will update my sig pic so you can see them.

Thanks for this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoeDr View Post
        I just picked up a drag bar for my 79 GS550L and am having difficulty with the throttle not "recoiling." Could the cable be binding now that the bar is lower? I also think I need to sand the bar end down maybe and apply some light grease.
        Will this also affect the clutch function?
        Hey guys, still having some troubles with mine. I took the throttle off completely and just held it in the air and it will recoil at certain heights but not down lower as if it were on a drag bar(no rise). Anything I can do to get these to work?

Comment

Working...
        X