Turn signals dont work at speed...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals dont work at speed...???

Lately I find out that on every speed more then 40-50mph turn signals won't blink .. also signal light on cluster doesn't work..(or will work for 1-2sec very rapidly)??? Whenever I go back to city driving mode...everything is working perfectly normal....
    Anyone with the same problem or solution??..
    considering the voltage on charging system test everything is working ok....
    This create me a real problem when I want to overtake trucks on highway..

Are they the stock lights?
    Does it happen on both sides or just one?
    Flashing rapidly is likely a problem with the flasher unit.
    If it happens on both sides, it's going to be something that is common to both sides, confirming suspicion of the flasher unit.
    It would also help to check all the power and ground connections to the signal lights themselves.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Swap out your flasher for an electronic model. I have LED's and did it to mine. Everything works great now

Comment

Originally posted by zuty13 View Post
        Lately I find out that on every speed more then 40-50mph turn signals won't blink .. also signal light on cluster doesn't work..(or will work for 1-2sec very rapidly)??? Whenever I go back to city driving mode...everything is working perfectly normal....
        Anyone with the same problem or solution??..
        considering the voltage on charging system test everything is working ok....
        This create me a real problem when I want to overtake trucks on highway..
        Interesting problem. Road speed shouldn't be a factor unless you have a situation where the signal lights are mechanically loose! Engine speed is a more likely culprit (can you duplicate the problem by driving slowly at moderate or equivalent road speed rpm???) What happens to your system voltage as you bring rpm up (sitting on the stand - bike stopped)....note this may take a little while to observe.....20 secs at least.

As mentioned, a less load-sensitive flasher my work - or may cover up the real problem. A stock flasher should work just fine in most circumstances.

Comment

I have self-cancelling signals on my bike, and I think there's some sort of revolution counter in the speedo that tells the flasher to turn off after a certain amount of turns(if you're moving). I wonder if that might have anything to do with it?

Comment

Bike?

What year and model is your bike?
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

GS550L 82' model ..
              stock turn signals no modifications ..all 4 od them and a cluster signal light doesn't work on speed.. during that all other lights work normally...I'll try new flasher unit but this one clicks like evrything is ok until I go to higer speed rpms..
              Thanks..

Comment

If they blink really fast before quitting I'd check the R/R.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No lights

Could be multiple problems, so go after the most obvious stuff first. If lights stop at high speed see if charging system is applying over 14 volts to the battery at 4000 RPM. If you have a bad connection between + RR and Positive side of battery it could be dropping. It would have to drop a long way to not have lights but, best to check anyway. Make sure that the voltage drop on the positive side indicates that current is coming from the R/R and not from the battery. (Positive side on the R/R + and positive drop). While at it, look to at least measure the voltage drops between the negative side as well.
                  Any electrical problem you should be able to replicate on the center stand, if you can't, then suspect more mechanical mechanisms.

Posplayr

Comment

Working...
                  X