GS 1100 gk Highway Buffeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100 gk Highway Buffeting

Greetings, I have an 82 GS 1100 gk. The problems are on the highway; anywhere near a semi means extreme windbuffeting. I'm struggling to keep the bike going in a straightline. Similarly, at 80 mph managing the bike is also struggle.... I know go slower and avoid highways with trucks... However, I was curious if other GK riders have the same problem and what came be done to increase highways stability.... Thanks

First of all, WELCOME TO THE FORUM. \\/

Now to your question. I have never owned or even ridden a GK, so I can't speak for them specifically, but I have owned a couple of large Kawasakis that were fully-dressed (KZ1300 and Voyager 1300), my son has a Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 that I have ridden for a bit, and I currently ride a Honda GoldWing. All of these bikes should be similarly affected by buffeting by semis, and they are. Yes, you really should slow down a bit, but there is no need to avoid highways with trucks. The trick is in how to pass them. If you must pass a truck that is doing about 65, wait behind it to make sure there is room to pass, then accellerate to pass it quickly. I don't mean that you have to hit 90 to get around it in two seconds, what I mean is don't pass it at 67 mph. 70-75 will get you around it quickly enough without attracting any attention, then slow back down to 70 or so when you are past it. You will encounter the most turbulence directly behind it for about 50-100 yards, then another blast as you pass the front bumper, so be prepared for that. It also helps to be aware which way the wind is blowing. If the truck is sheltering you from a side wind as you pass it, you will get a double dose of wind as you pass the front bumper. :shock:

The way the large bikes push the air out of your way with the windshield, combined with the weight and placement of the saddlebags and trunk, make them considerably less stable as the speed goes up. Another factor to consider is that primarily due to aerodynamics, all of these bikes get reasonable gas mileage up to about 70 mph, then take a serious nosedive.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by therevpc View Post
      Greetings, I have an 82 GS 1100 gk. The problems are on the highway; anywhere near a semi means extreme windbuffeting. I'm struggling to keep the bike going in a straightline. Similarly, at 80 mph managing the bike is also struggle.... I know go slower and avoid highways with trucks... However, I was curious if other GK riders have the same problem and what came be done to increase highways stability.... Thanks
      I've been riding a GK since November, 1999, and before that I rode 5 GS850G's.

Yes, you get buffeting if you follow or get near a semi. Big deal. Deal with it. Anticipate it, train yourself to relax and let the GK do its thing.

I cruise at 80+ mph on the interstate whenever I have to go on it. Yes, it's not as steady as a Gold Wing. Big deal. Its wheelbase is short, compared to other touring bikes. Deal with it.

Unless there's something wrong with the forks or triple tree. Examine them closely for trueness and straightness. Change the fork oil and perhaps install new Progressive or other after-market springs.

If they're true, and your front end is OK, then deal with the "problem."

Comment

When I was Y&D (young & dumb) I would draft semis on longer road trips. What a bad idea. Lots of really bad what ifs. Anyway, there is a real zone behind a semi that is very comfortable to ride in. Dont ever do that.

Today, Im with steve. Just get the hell away from them. Like in the flying world...dont take a little plane any where near a big jet.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I have an 1100GL with a full fairing and side bags and can vouch for some wind buffeting.

I rode the bike all highway (approx. 30 miles) this morning and fairly windy days, keep it 75 and below and you will do fine.

Make sure your steering bearings are tight and within spec.

New progressives helped to stabilize my bike at highway speeds, that and tightening the steering bearing.

Comment

Working...
          X