Choke cable replacement attaching to handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke cable replacement attaching to handlebars

I have a '80 GS850L that I bought a few weeks ago. The choke was very hard to pull and the guy put on a "extra" choke cable he had laying around that surely wasn't meant for the bike. If his "extra" one was better I'd hate to see the original. It basically sat in the stem in the middle of the handle bars but you had to pull the choke out, hold the base and then pull. Extreme hassle and very hard to use one handed. So I bought a new cable from Puget Sounds Motorcycles (psmcycles.com) but there are no instructions and am having a very difficult time installing it. Anyone install one of these or know of some tricks I'm missing. If the knob would come off I'd have it figured out but it doesn't.:?

Thanks

If you want to move it to the handle bars just grab a left hand switch switch from an 82 - 83 w/ choke cable. In fact I have a spare if you decide to go that route shoot me a PM.

You should be able to connect the other end to the carbs no problem though I cant say for sure never seen the connection on the older bikes.

Comment

I'm interested in these tips, too. My choke was really hard to pull as well - so I sprayed some silicone spray on the shaft, and now it won't stay on. Too loose - vibration from a running bike is enough help for the choke return spring to shut the choke off after a minute or two!

Anyway assembly/disassembly tips would help cause I'm thinking about fixing/replacing it to get smooth and secure at the same time. Unless it's supposed to be this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
        I'm interested in these tips, too. My choke was really hard to pull as well - so I sprayed some silicone spray on the shaft, and now it won't stay on. Too loose - vibration from a running bike is enough help for the choke return spring to shut the choke off after a minute or two!

Anyway assembly/disassembly tips would help cause I'm thinking about fixing/replacing it to get smooth and secure at the same time. Unless it's supposed to be this way.
        I am assuming you have a cable, and not just a lever on the side of the bike. Most of the cables I have seen have a nut at the top of the cable, just below the knob. Just tighten it down a little bit, this adds friction to the rod at the top of the cable.

Greg

Comment

Working...
        X