1982 GS650L OVERHEATING/HIGH RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650L OVERHEATING/HIGH RPM

Hello boys and girls, I'm new to this forum. Seems pretty cool. I picked up this bike last Sept. and had the carbs cleaned at a local shop. Changed plugs, the idle is set at 1100. But at cruising speeds (59-70) she runs about 5,000 + rpm. She gets hot and the engine shuts down. Let her cool off 15 minutes and she starts up again.

Possible problems: Coil? Points? The shop owner said maybe change the front gear to a larger one to slow the rpm, this is a shaft driven bike, does that make sense?

Thanks, Bob

the rpm range is normal. when it shuts down will the motor still turn over ok but not start? what makes you think it is hot? are there any other signs? does it start to run bad before it dies? does it shut off all at once? are you checking your battery voltage before you leave and when the bike is dead?
    next time it dies pull a spark plug and check for a good spark. My guess is you have a bad coil ( but both dont usually go at the same time).It will run ok till the coil heats up then you will loose the cylinders that the coil supply the spark for, but we need to know the answer to the other questions to diagnose better.

Comment

I have found that the pickups (under the points cover) are the most sensitive to heat. Try taking the cover off when running and see if it still dies.

Changing the front gear doesn't make any sense.

Comment

I think the shop guy though I had a chain drive. I'll check the points. The bike just dies on decel. I haven't checked the voltage, but when she is hot she won't crank (sounds like a dead battery), when she cools, she starts right up.

I always keep her on a battery tender when not in use. I have been told by more than a few it might be the coil. What about a carb sync?

Thanks for responding!<g> 8-)

Comment

Hey guys I just post a message with the same question!
          I have exactly the same symptoms. The battery is full of charge (I checked with a voltmeter), when she is hot she's want crank, after 5 -10 minutes she's start at once! My big fear is the engine overheating. Coil problem doesen?t makes to me any sense. Please help !

Comment

You said "when she is hot, she wont crank (sounds like a dead battery)"
            I am not sure whether you are describing a situation of the engine will turn over with the starter but will not start up, or that when the engine dies out when hot, the starter circuit does not work.

Earl

Originally posted by MOTORHEADBOB
            I think the shop guy though I had a chain drive. I'll check the points. The bike just dies on decel. I haven't checked the voltage, but when she is hot she won't crank (sounds like a dead battery), when she cools, she starts right up.

I always keep her on a battery tender when not in use. I have been told by more than a few it might be the coil. What about a carb sync?

Thanks for responding!<g> 8-)
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

>>>I am not sure whether you are describing a situation of the engine will turn over with the starter but will not start up, or that when the engine dies out when hot, the starter circuit does not work. <<<

The engine does not turn over when hot. You know she gives that rr,,rrr,,rrr sound of a dying battery. She was hard starting today, I just took her for a spin around the block let her run a few minutes and put her back on the bat. tender. The charging red light came on and has been on for a couple of hours.

Sounds like I need a new batt., but lets say this was a new batt. (the fella I bought it from said it was las Aug. he also said he put in a new stator) could bad coils kill it? What about if only one coil was bad, shouldn't the bike still run on one?

Comment

get a cheap volt meter and test the battery after it is charged then test it when it is making the rrrrrr sound , if the coil is bad it should still run on two cylinders. im thinking the battery is fried or you charging system is not re-charging it. you really should get us some volt info to go by

Comment

Well if I'm using the volt meter correctly, I have 15 volts (when charged) doesn't seem right if I only have a 12 volt batt. I've followed the directions in the owners manual and checked the alternator and it still reads 15 volts. I pulled the negative cable from the batt. (while running) and she died. Does that mean the alt. is bad? The fella I bought the bike from last summer said he changed out the stator.

Comment

My first thought about the running hot is that the carbs could be set too lean. Have you checked your plugs to see if they are running rich or lean? You might want to adjust the air fuel mixture screws to make her a little less lean. I may be way off, just a thought. I know when I have my carbs set too lean, the exhaust pipes start to discolor from the heat. When they are set correctly, I can touch them and they do not burn me.

Terry

Comment

Yes, that is one problem the plugs are black. I'll adjust the mix and sync the carbs.

Thanks everyone for responding, you guys are very helpful.

Comment

Hello again. Long time no post. I was able to hook up with an old friend who looked at the bike. He determined that since it idled fine, and (in nuetral) it reved smooth until 5ooo rpm, smelled of excessive gas. The problem is the main jets (too big).

We changed to stock jets and she runs beautifully. Thanks to all who have posted replies to this message.

Comment

Working...
                        X