Will this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this work?

On my 81' 550L, the intake boots are old. The boots themselves aren't cracked but the flanges have worn out and the boots pull away from the motor maybe a millimeter or so. New boots will run about 80.00 but in the meantime would it hurt to maybe run a little caulk or sealant right where the boot meets the engine? Like I said it's just a small crack but I don't want to take the chance of this bike running to lean and burning the pistons.

Northwoods

How are the orings inside of these manifold flanges? They are what seal the flanges to the head. Would caulk work, I suppose if it can handle the heat the head radiates. Chances are that if you pull off the flanges you will get a better idea what condition they are in; then you may consider new ones.

Comment

All the snake oil and voo doo ain't gonna help. Replace the boots and the o-rings. It's the only way.

Comment

No. Won't work.

Sorry. Gotta buy new ones.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

An relevant example of man's inhumanity to machine....

Comment

Working...
          X