Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today, taking off tank, changing oil, wet cylinders (gs1000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today, taking off tank, changing oil, wet cylinders (gs1000)

Hi,

Today I'm going to change the oil, take off the gas tank, and wet the cylinders.

I want to clean the carbs, but I was wondering if I should just mildly clean them and put them back on just to see if the engine will go? Or should I thoroughly clean them (I never done this before on anything)?

I have a torque wrench, so I won't screw up the oil change.

Anything else I should do?

Thanks

How does one clean the carbs... I to have never done this... but dammit by the end of the summer I will be known as the guy who can tune up a suzuki!!!!!!!!!!

I have to ask why the importance of the torque wrench.

I don't own one but after reading the board I am going to buy one. Do the threads get messed up that easily?

how bad can I screw them up?

Comment

re: Torque wrench

Apparently because our filters are not the stand-alone or enclosed type as you wold use on your car. When putting the cover back on, if you tighten it to spec, you can actually over tighten it and crack teh gasket or worse the cover.

That's why you always see guys asking how can they fix this.

I know it's an old dirty bike, but that doesn't mean I'm going to treat it like a lump of steel.

Comment

Yea, I have to replace the studs on mine due to the PO's overtightning and stripping the them . Beleive me a torq wrence or any tool for that matter is always a good investment.

Comment

BAD News.

Today I took off the tank, but before I did that I syphoned out the gas. At first it looked fine (for vintage gas), but when I got to the bottom I dunno if it's just sediment or what, but it looked orange and granually.

When I rubbed the substance in my fingers it smeared, and it didn't feel gritty. I couldn't tell if it was rust. But I am pretty sure it is.

The oil looked ok. It was dark, but on the light side. No water or sediment or rust. But it started to rain, so I had to wrap things up.

Comment

Well now, let me see......how bad can you screw the threads up? Since everything is aluminum, you can rather easily strip them right out.
            I dont use a torque wrench for the oil drain plug. However, I use an 8 inch ratchet and only turn the drain plug in as tight as I can with just my little finger wrapped around the ratchet handle. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by GS77
            I have to ask why the importance of the torque wrench.

I don't own one but after reading the board I am going to buy one. Do the threads get messed up that easily?

how bad can I screw them up?
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ok...forget the torque wrench...just tighten the plug to snug so it don't leak. I stripped mine completely, had a bad brain fart, so put in an oversized plug, available at any auto parts store. The plug is set in its own replaceable aluminum plate in the bottom case so even in a worse case event you can change the botton plate.

The gas problem is more serious. Flush the tank while you have it off. Get yourself a good in-line gas filter between the tank and the carbs.

The carb problem is the serious problem. If rust particles, dirt, bugs, or small childern have found thier way into the air and fuel passages in the carbs, then you will have to completely disassemble, soak, clean and reassemble with new parts. The how to guide on this page is pretty good and will help you much in this endeavor. Adjusting the carbs afterward is difficult but you will do as well if not better than most shops.

Comment

Working...
              X