Header blemish problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header blemish problem

After doing a tune up on my 78 GS750EC I had it running and wanted to feel each header exaust pipe to be sure each cylinder was firing so I put on a pair of brown cloth work gloves to use as an insulator between the pipes and my hand. This worked great.....I could feel the heat but did not scorch my hand.
    However, I did manage to scorch the glove and on each pipe up at the bend by the head it left a black blemish on my chrome and the blemish is the exact cloth weave pattern that the glove has.
    In my attempts to get this off the pipes I have tried everything except dynamite. I've used lacquer thinner, gasoline, alchohol, steel wool, and even furniture strpper with no success at all.
    I imagine the gloves are either cotton or nylon; but whatever it is; it's really burned in there.
    I welcome your suggestions. Prior to this the pipes were pristine.
    Thanks,
    GS750guy

I find that just about any chrome polish and plenty of elbow grease will remove stains like that. The polishes seem to all have some abrasive that really digs out the rust and dirt. My personal favorite is Simichrome paste. After that the liquid stuff like Brasso or Noxon does well too.

Comment

Caswells makes a header polishing kit that uses a liquid white rouge suitable for chrome. I haven't tried it yet but got it in the mail yesterday so I will this weekend

Comment

Good news!! I just happened to be in the library the other day and picked up a copy of Cycle Magazine and was randomly flipping pages and came to a question and answer page that asked the exact same question. "How do you get burned on crud off of your chrome header pipes"? The suggested and sworn solution to the problem was to spray some Easy Off Cold oven cleaner on the spots and let it set over night. They claim by morning it will wipe right off.
        GS750GUY

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
          ... The suggested and sworn solution to the problem was to spray some Easy Off Cold oven cleaner on the spots and let it set over night. They claim by morning it will wipe right off.
          GS750GUY
          I will have to try this. Spray a little on the kitchen oven for show and then run out to the garage with it!

Comment

Good news!! I just happened to be in the library the other day and picked up a copy of Cycle Magazine and was randomly flipping pages and came to a question and answer page that asked the exact same question. "How do you get burned on crud off of your chrome header pipes"? The suggested and sworn solution to the problem was to spray some Easy Off Cold oven cleaner on the spots and let it set over night. They claim by morning it will wipe right off.
            GS750GUY
            Anybody tried the Easy Off oven cleaner method yet. I'm curious to hear if the stuff works.
            Gs750GUY

Comment

well, it works fantastic for ovens?

Comment

Anybody tried the Easy Off oven cleaner method yet. I'm curious to hear if the stuff works.
                Gs750GUY
                It works, but.............

1. Warm the pipes a little before using

2. Make a cardboard shield to stop any overspray getting anywhere else

3. Let it sit an hour or so only - you can always do it again

4. Wash liberally with low pressure high volume water.

If that stuff gets anywhere else and you don't catch it, it will leave a mark there, too.

I tend to use WD40 and 0000 wire wool.

Comment

the caustic in the oven cleaner ruined my pipes chrome
                  i suppose it depends on the quality of the plating

I would exercise caution and apply it in several stages each time increasing the duration of the application untl it breaks dwon the offending material.

Comment

Get some Turtle Wax (probably any brand will do, that's just what I have so I know it works) Chrome Polish and a length of soft nylon rope. Soak an 8" or so loop of the rope in the polish. Wrap one loop around the header pipe, then pull the ends of the cord back and forth briskly (like you're shining shoes). Careful, the polish will fly everywhere, so wear safety glasses, and be prepared to give your bike a good bath when done.

This greatly increases the friction applied and rate of polishing, and should take about anything off without damaging your chrome finish. I used this method to remove some melted-on shoe sole rubber that was branded onto my header by the sidestand tang.

I also use this method for general pipe polishing as well. Works great and is quick.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                    X