Vaccuum or Manual slide? gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vaccuum or Manual slide? gs850

I bought my first 1980 Suzuki gs850g a few weeks ago for 200 bucks. The back tire was locked up, but the rest of the bike is in great shape. I fixed the secondary drive and tore the carbs apart. They wernt too bad just a little crap in the main jets. Except for the #1 carb. The barrel that holds the metering jet is broke in half. I left the metering jet in and put carb back together. Bike started but lacked midrange. the metering jet never leaks even on prime so I decided that it just might work. But there was something wrong with the carbs still. When I pulled the carbs back off, half of one of the boots came with it. Got to love those things lol!. I'm gonna replace intake boots and o-ring's along with airbox boots. I was talking with a friend that said that the manual slide carbs are better than the vacuum. It appears that these carbs are on the 79's and the vacuum I have are on the 80's. I'm wondering what you guys think. Can I find a set of 79 carbs and throw on my 80 or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks New to Gs
    Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2008, 02:52 PM.

Unfortunately, the heads between the two years 79,80 are different, due to the different carbs, and a couple other things (i know that they re-timed the cams on the 850s, im just not sure when it was they did it, 80 or later) So your kinda stuck with the BS32SS cv type carbs that came on it. You could probably figure something out, but yes, youd likely be asking for more trouble than its worth. You COULD however, if you REALLY REALLY wanted VM mechanical slide carbs, find a 79 head, but im not sure if its a direct bolt up or not.

Comment

I'm not sure about the head change 79 to 80. I know they made a change to accomodate a 19-bolt valve cover in 82.

I will disagree with your friend about the CV carbs. I think your bike will run better with them if you use the stock airbox/boots designed for those carbs. My CVs have been a model of consistency with no flat spots, good acceleration and great idling characteristics.

If you can't get the stock airbox setup, then go with the slide models. These do allow you to customize your intake and exhaust components much easier than the CVs.

Comment

CafeKid is correct. I used to own a 79 850, then an 80 850. Totally different heads, made for totally different carbs. Not compatible at all.

I prefer the CV carbs. Three of the four 850's I owned back in the 80's and 90's had CV carbs. My GS1100GK, with 128,000 miles, also has CV carbs. I wouldn't have the old-fashioned carbs again.

Comment

kk Thanks guys sorry for the late reply, camping 5 days is fun. do you guys know what kinda foam I need for the airbox? I need to replace the foam between the filter and the airbox. It's the foam that seals the filter cartridge to the airbox. I was thinking about using some truck topper one side foam but it may not handle the gas.

Comment

Working...
          X