and I just got my saddle bags too!! errrrrr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and I just got my saddle bags too!! errrrrr

Why is pipe 4 not as hot as the rest...bike is running like sh*t because of it!

#4 was really missing, causing my idle to jump down every few seconds and the bike to sputter. What I thought was just an elecrtic issue (bad plug caps) was wrong. Looks like I'm getting a good spark now...with new cap and plug. HOWEVER, now I'm worried it could be a carb issue, I really, really, don't want to pull the carbs again. Here's what up with it.

.. Started it up, started easy, nice idle (so the initial problem is gone). after about a minute or two I put my hands on the pipes. All were getting toasting except 4. Uh, oh..well, whatever, let's ride! In low gears I'm getting no real acceleration, a lil sputtery when there is no severe throttle action. Once I'm in 4th gear, she starts to rips as though now #4 is firing. Took a 20 mintue ride. When I got off the bike, felt all pipes...all pipes were REALLY hot, pipe 4 was..hot. So WHAT IT GOING ON? Is it only firing in higher gears? If so, why...sounds like fuel problem....aka a carb problem...nooooooo

Please tell me a needle is stuck and that I can just tap on the carbs with a piece of wood, the needle will dislodge and and it will all be fixed..

FYI- I kinda fidgeted with the air idle mixture on that carb as well...leaned it out a bit as the plug was fouled before.

The carb still has a problem. What you could try is some SeaFoam cleaner/additive mixed in with the gas.
    Did you check the intake boots ?

Comment

intake boots are sealed. seafoam huh, I used that last year, then developed a carb issue. Probably because it knocked some gunk around. well, it's worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
        intake boots are sealed. seafoam huh, I used that last year, then developed a carb issue. Probably because it knocked some gunk around. well, it's worth a shot.
        You've still got some gunk stuck in the pilot jet passages on #4 carb. Once you fully open the throttle that circuit is taken out of play and you get the correct fuel/air ratio to warm up the pipe. Pull the carbs and check all the passages with the jets removed. You may need to pry any blockage free with some fine copper wire. Use compressed air to complete their cleaning.
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

after searching the forum last night, I came across one person, who happened to also have a 650, who had the exact same symptoms as me. THe answer ended up being he had not synched the carbs yet after a re-build. Once he did, the problem went away. However, I had the carbs synched two weeks ago. She was running smooth. My issue with cylinder 4 started a few days ago. I guess it's possible the idle screw used to adjust for the synch has come loose on 4. I doubt it, but I'll see. I'm gonna get seafoam first and see how that goes.

Comment

They have it a Pep Boys, but they probably don't know they do! I bought a couple cans at the one on Ridge Ave. in Andorra, right after they told me they didn't carry it! They didn't know what it was! It was back with the carb cleaners, etc.
            1979 GS 1000

Comment

yeah good stuff but dont worry when your leaving clouds of smoke it is supposed to do that

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                You've still got some gunk stuck in the pilot jet passages on #4 carb. Once you fully open the throttle that circuit is taken out of play and you get the correct fuel/air ratio to warm up the pipe. Pull the carbs and check all the passages with the jets removed. You may need to pry any blockage free with some fine copper wire. Use compressed air to complete their cleaning.
                This is exaclty what it was. My pilot jet cap was in bad condition, deteriorated, etc, it basically fell apart and little bity pieces found it's way into the jet. I soaked the jet in carb cleaner for an hour, blew some canned air through the jet, and cleaned it out. Luckily, Duaneage had given me a spare cap (as he saw first hand when I last had my carbs out, that I was missing a few and that they were in bad shape)

My bike is running like a dream again.........for now.:-D

thanks guys....you did it again.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
                  This is exaclty what it was. My pilot jet cap was in bad condition, deteriorated, etc, it basically fell apart and little bity pieces found it's way into the jet. I soaked the jet in carb cleaner for an hour, blew some canned air through the jet, and cleaned it out. Luckily, Duaneage had given me a spare cap (as he saw first hand when I last had my carbs out, that I was missing a few and that they were in bad shape)

My bike is running like a dream again.........for now.:-D

thanks guys....you did it again.
                  I just love a happy ending! Now fit those saddle bags and ride her.
                  The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                  GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                  GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                  GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                  http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X