Chain too long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain too long

I think the previous owner of my bike bought a chain that is too long for the bike. Sprockets are in good shape, but chain is extreemly loose, and can not be adjusted as the Axle adjustment bolts have been adjusted all the way out. Is it possible to have a couple of links taken out of the chain to bring it back in to where it can be propperly adjusted.
    Any help would be appriciated. I plan on replacing them all this fall when I also replace the transmission gears as second gear is having problems. It is just too nice out right now to have the bike in pieces.

Amos

Re: Chain too long

You can buy a "chainbreaker" from any of the online cycle supply places.
    J.C. Whitney, Dennis Kirk, Bikebandit, Cycle recycle, etc. I bought a good one for about $20 and wouldnt be without one. It makes removing a link SOOOO much easier than grinding off the peened end of a pin and using a vice and punch. If you dont plan on having a use for a chainbreaker though, I would probably just take it to a bike shop and have them break it.

Earl

Originally posted by TheBigRed
    I think the previous owner of my bike bought a chain that is too long for the bike. Sprockets are in good shape, but chain is extreemly loose, and can not be adjusted as the Axle adjustment bolts have been adjusted all the way out. Is it possible to have a couple of links taken out of the chain to bring it back in to where it can be propperly adjusted.
    Any help would be appriciated. I plan on replacing them all this fall when I also replace the transmission gears as second gear is having problems. It is just too nice out right now to have the bike in pieces.

Amos
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

You should check if you have the stock sprocket ratio first. Then count the number of chain links and phone up your dealer. They will be able to tell you if you've got too many links.

Steve

Comment

Got Chain Breaker

Ok, went and purchased a chain breaker from local Suzuki dealership. (In a hurry to get this taken care of so I can ride, don't want to wait for shipping)

Anyway, next question is, do I take the links from around the "master" link, or do I remove them from another section of the chain?

fyi, out of curiosity, and because of an earlier post somewhere, I checked on their labor rates, $42/hr, which is lower than anything else I had been hearing.

Amos

Comment

Re: Got Chain Breaker

Ok, went and purchased a chain breaker from local Suzuki dealership. (In a hurry to get this taken care of so I can ride, don't want to wait for shipping)

Anyway, next question is, do I take the links from around the "master" link, or do I remove them from another section of the chain?

fyi, out of curiosity, and because of an earlier post somewhere, I checked on their labor rates, $42/hr, which is lower than anything else I had been hearing.

Amos
          Take them from the end where the master link is located. I suggest Pulling off the master link, move the axle as far forward as possible in the swingarm, then wrap the chain on the front and rear sprockets. There should be several links overlap. Cut these links off and replace the master link, using a new clip. Make sure the open end of the clip is NOT going in the direction of chain rotation.

I am concerned that the chain is actually stretched...if that is the case the life of the sprockets will be very short.

Hap

Comment

I can safely say that I've never had that problem!! Now, there's no such thing as a shaft that's too long 8)

Comment

Well, comes to a new chain and sprocket set.

Hap:
              You were right, chain is stretched. :x I've taken out a pair of links so I can keep the chain from slapping against the chain guard and center stand till the new chain and sprockets come in.

Placed the order with Dennis Kirk.
              Thanks for all your help guys, looks like I'll have a rainy day project coming up in the next couple of weeks.

Makes me Glad I'm getting double time for working on holidays.

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
                I can safely say that I've never had that problem!! Now, there's no such thing as a shaft that's too long 8)
                shaft thats to long? :roll:

Comment

Amos, don't let these "G" shaft guys get to you! Their just jealous that they got shafted!

Hap

Comment

I had figured this thread would bring up the debate again...

Well, if I could afford the trip to pick up this bike on e-bay, I might be joining them, though I'd still keep the little old 550t and work on restoring it. Aren't all GS bikes worth fixing up shaft or chain?

Comment

Re: I had figured this thread would bring up the debate agai

....Aren't all GS bikes worth fixing up shaft or chain?
                      Yes, wise words! I am still lusting after a couple of GS1000G's that where on the last Hill Country Ride we had down here in Texas. That 850G looks a great!

Hap

Comment

WooHoo

Well, Sprockets and chain came in late last week. No time over the weekend to work on her (I hate my job). Today after work I tackled the job. Easier than I had though it was going to be. New sprockets and chain installed and running beautifully.

Also managed to get rid of a strange sound the bike was making, must have been the old chain.

Now if it would just stop raining and I could get out more and ride!!

Amos

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
                          That's not what my wife says.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X