fuel Gauge will not work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel Gauge will not work

I have been working on getting the fuel gauge to work with no luck. I have taken it the sending unit out of the tank taken it apart cleaned it and ensured good contact with the "variable resistor" I have now got resistance changes, so I was excited. Hooked it up to the bike without it back in the tank hoping to move the float up and down and watch the fuel needle go up and down. I have tried this with the bike on, not running, with no real luck, does the bike have to be running for the fuel gauge to give a reading? I have never had it working since my ownership of the bike so not sure when it will work and when it will not. I also have taken apart the fuel gauge and nothing seemed to be wrong there all the wires were connected and in good shape Any ideas?

Hi George

Take a look at your schematic diagram for your particular bike.
    Assuming Suzuki uses the same wire color on all of their bikes,
    Three (3) wires are hooked-up to the fuel gauge.

B/W = Gnd/Center Tap
    G/Y = Variable Resistor
    Or = 12VDC/10A

Check your fuel gauge with another known good unit. The manual
    does not have a T/S guide or an internal wire guide or procedure for
    these individual gauges. You would have to consult with the vendor
    and mfr of these gauges. The gas gauge circuit should receive power when the ignition contacts are closed with the key .i.e. "on' position.
    The bike does not have to be running....at least mine does not !!

I have the same problem on my GS1150, and have not had a chance
    to resolve this issue. I'm suspecting the gauge itself, because like you,
    I have removed the sending unit, and have repaired and bench tested
    this unit with a resistance meter and under a microscope. Very easy
    the wirewound wire can easily short with .005" of pitch spacing.

I'm curious as what you find as the root cause and solution.

KT :-D\\/

en a

Comment

Well I have not gone as far as to repair the sending unit with a microscope-I'm impressed with your diligence to say the least. I am having a hard time believing that it is the gauge that is fatly , but it very well could be. These things work by creating an EMF (educed Magnetic field) which will then deflect the needle upwards or downwards- this is controlled by the how much resistance is provided by the sending unit which will change based on the amount of fuel in the tank. In the gauge there is a coil of wire wrapped around the needle this creates supplies the magnetic field which will cause the needle to bend/deflect. It is a cool concept when you think that this is like 30 years old but I guess we shouldn't be surprised since knowledge about emf's has been around longer then these bikes. Maybe one of these days I will rip apart the gauge again, If I get it to work I will let you know. good luck to you

Comment

your fuel level needle wont move quickly.hold the sender all the way up and hold it there. see if the needle moves then.

Comment

Have you checked continuity, grounds, all of the bullet connectors?
          Pretty simple stuff, you already know how it works.
          Is the meter itself conducting through it's coils?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X