no spark, no turning over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no spark, no turning over

i am building a bike where everything is off of a 78 gs550 except for the forks and frame. i been doing good up to installing the coils. i cant get spark or the motor to turn over. All the lights and everything work fine, just no spark or turning over. i can only switch between 4 gears with or without the clutch in. and the push rod is bent. how do i get it out to straignten it. does anyone have a good wiring diagram for the coils to the contact breaker

The pushrod should just slide out. Earl Formes should be able to walk you through the ignition problems. It's been so long since I had anything with points type ignition I've forgotten exactly how it should be hooked up. But, you should have a positive wire common to both coils and individual grounds coming from the points to each of the coils.

Comment

Re: no spark, no turning over

In your headlight shell, you should find a long, flat, three wires side by side plug. The center wire will be white with an orange stripe. This white/orange wire runs to just above where your coils mount and it should end in a double connector/plug. This is the 12+ positive INPUT wire for your coils. Plug both of your coil leads from the terminals on the coils that are marked + (positive) and are also orange/white, into this connector.
      Each of your coils will also have a terminal that is marked - (negative)
      The terminals marked negative are 12 volts POSITIVE OUTPUT. Your left breaker set will have a white wire. Connect the white wire to the terminal marked negative on the left coil. (left as if you were sitting on the bike)
      connect the right side breaker sets black lead to the right coils negative terminal. When you connect the leads to the breaker points, be sure that the insulator on the little bolt on the pointset is between the wire clip and the pointset. Install one condensor wire beside the white wire on the left pointset and connect the other condensor wire beside the black wire on the right pointset.

On not getting the motor to turn over, I am guessing your starter circuit is not completed. On that same long, flat, three wires side by side plug we started with, you will find a green with yellow stripe wire. That wire goes to the starter disconnect switch. (that is the small switch underneath the clutch lever. There are two wires, one into the switch and one leaving the switch. They are both green/yellow. Leaving the switch, the green/yellow connects to the starter relay. On the starter relay there is a thick black wire that connects to the starter. Also on the relay, there is a large red wire that connects directly to battery positive. If your wiring is correct and still no power, the most likely fault is a defective starter disconnect switch. This switch can be jumped if need be, but if you do that the starter will be able to engage at any time regardless of whether the bike is in gear or not.

Earl

Originally posted by nscharmer
      i am building a bike where everything is off of a 78 gs550 except for the forks and frame. i been doing good up to installing the coils. i cant get spark or the motor to turn over. All the lights and everything work fine, just no spark or turning over. i can only switch between 4 gears with or without the clutch in. and the push rod is bent. how do i get it out to straignten it. does anyone have a good wiring diagram for the coils to the contact breaker
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Where is your pushrod? If it is on the chain side between the chain cover and the engine it just pulls out. Don't cut it as you'll need to go to a machine shop to have them make a new one if you can't make it work by turning it around.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X