Electrical Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Problems

OK. Rode my 83 GS750ES all the way into work, and it was still running and I backed it into a parking space. When I cranked the bar all the way to the right to straighten up the bike when I was moving it backwards, it died and I lost all electric.

So, I check the fuses and the 10 amp fuse on the bottom (power) was blown. So I replaced it an no electric at all. Where should I look next, or what is the method for running down a short? Or since the new fuse did not blow when I turn the key on, it is something else?

Any info is greatly appreciated. My car and my bike died in the same week and am in desperate need of transportation!

Jay

Re: Electrical Problems

Fortunately, installing a new fuse did not provide power. The problem is still there and it would only have served to reconnect the short and burn up more wiring. :-) Depending on how your wiring harness is routed, I am guessing that when you turn the bars to the right, the harness is either pinched, rubbed on the forward flange of the tank, or scraped in some way. I think it has just finally worn the insulation off the wires and you probably reached a point of having a bare positive wire get scraped across metal. I would turn the forks back and forth (ignition off) and watch the wiring harness to try to see when/where it moves or rubs. The burnt wire is probably at that point.

Earl

Originally posted by thoox
    OK. Rode my 83 GS750ES all the way into work, and it was still running and I backed it into a parking space. When I cranked the bar all the way to the right to straighten up the bike when I was moving it backwards, it died and I lost all electric.

So, I check the fuses and the 10 amp fuse on the bottom (power) was blown. So I replaced it an no electric at all. Where should I look next, or what is the method for running down a short? Or since the new fuse did not blow when I turn the key on, it is something else?

Any info is greatly appreciated. My car and my bike died in the same week and am in desperate need of transportation!

Jay
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earlfor is right. I had wires split at the forks also. I soldered and shrink wrapped the faults and then put a new protective sheath around all. So far, so good.

Good Luck,
      Dave W.

Comment

8O well, for anyone interested, after tracing the wiring i discovered several things.

first, the plug that connects the ignition switch to the harness had one prong broken. so once that was fixed, the bike would start and after 10-15 minutes i would lose all lights and signals with a blown fuse.

turns out that this was one set of the horn wires, that are not connected to a horn, dangling and hitting the frame. so, replaced the horn switch, taped up the un plugged horn wires, and now i will find out if life is good again.

thanks for the suggestions!

jay

Comment

You might note that the horns are unusual. Other circuits use live wires to/from a switch, but the horns are "live" all the time the ignition is ON, and the switch is the ground.

Make sure you tape them well, and it would be a good idea to secure them so they will not flail about in the wind and have the tips wear through the tape as they slap the frame.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X