Nice looking GS750e(z)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice looking GS750e(z)

Wonder how hard it was to put that swingarm on there?

Am thinking myself about adding another bike to the stable ('81 GS750e). Might even try to model it somewhat after this one.
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Well it was fun!

Quick run down.

Acquire 90ish GSXR, swingarm, rim + tire, sprocket hub, rear disk, rear caliper and support arm, monoshock and all pivot hardware and brackets, complete rear controls and pegs, all spacers and rear axle, and chain adjusters.
    Stripe frame completely.
    Mount frame sideways on a mill and fly cut frame inserts to accept swingarm width.
    Machine three angle cuts on swingarm, so swingarm will not hit rear motor case when pivoting.
    Cylindrical grind stock swingarm bushings and press fit them into GSXR bushings to allow use of stock swingarm bolt.
    Use 1 inch square tubing and reinforce frame and to allow a place for monoshock mounting brackets.
    Make and heat treat monoshock mounting brackets.
    Fabricate and relocate a new battery box.
    Convert to 530 chain and sprockets, 630 too wide will not work on 750 frame anyway.
    Cut the teeth off one front sprocket, core out the center of another and weld the two together for the front offset.
    Machine the rear sprocket to move it closer to the rim, this will give you rear offset, you could also do the sprocket hub, then further machining of rear sprockets in the future will not be neccessary.
    Fabricate and machine a stud to mount the rear caliper support arm, I used the no longer needed hole for the stock rear brake lever pivot; as I used GSXR foot pegs and controls.
    Cut a triangle out of your brand new V&H exhaust pipe and re-weld to give you that modern day high exit exhaust look.
    Mount the Nitrogen monoshock resevoir to the frame.
    Do all this while making sure the two tires have the same centerline, make up the measurements as you go along, pray that it all goes together, pray that it all stays together.

It takes a 180 Battlaxe, looks pretty mean with the skinny 100 up front.
    PM me for any further details.

Oh, almost forgot a big pocket full of cash!

Andre

Comment

hey Andre, what about replacing the front end too hmm?
      or are you already planning to do so in the near future?

if so, mind the much shorter length of modern (GSX-R) forks...

Comment

I thought about it, but a GS without a 19 inch front rim is just not a GS!
        Just cosmetics now, no more structural changes for me.

8) Andre 8)

Comment

so this is not a GS?

well.. you're right.. we call them GSX overhere..

Comment

Wow! Your bike looks amazing .............1980?

Just personal preference.........I like the 19 inch rim!

I guess your handling is far superior to the 19 inch.

You got some really nice height out of the ass end...........very streetfighterish!

What is the front end off...........big modifications?

Andre

Comment

I guess your handling is far superior to the 19 inch.
              well.. I'm working on that.. :?
              to get the same trail as the bike the forks came out of (GSX-R750J) I needed to steepen the headstock..
              I tried to achieve this by raising the backend (which I needed to jack-up anyway to create some more groundclearence because of the short forks..)
              ..so it's not perfect yet but I now at least I am able to fit a nice modern front tyre..
              ..the brakes are not bad either..

..big modifications?
              well yeah.. guess I did some work on it:

front: GSX-R750J forks, GSX-R1100K rim, GSX-R1100J disks, GSX-R1100WP 6-pots, braided brake lines, Hyperpro springs..

rear: GSX-R750L swingarm, GSX-R1100J 18" rim, WP adjustable twin shocks

bodywork: mostly GSX750, homemade seat

frame: '81 GSX750 braced at headstock and swingarmpivot area

engine: '80 GSX1100, bored GS1150 cyl.block, Wiseco 1260 pistons, Megacycle cams, HD valve springs, oversize stainless valves, port cleanup, BST 38mm CV Mikuni's, HD studs, welded+trued GS1150 crank, straight prim.gears, solid welded clutch backplate, HD clutch springs, 750 oilpumpgears, Earls 13 row oilcooler, GS1150 filter cover, Dyna coils, Dyna 2000 ignition system, Cobra (german!) 4-1 headers, homemade collector + muffler, Electrex rec/reg-unit, slimmed down alternator rotor+cover, homemade wiring loom..

well.. that's about it I think..

Comment

Working...
              X