Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poorly Stored Bike coming back to life..tach.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poorly Stored Bike coming back to life..tach.

I have a 1983 Suzuki 650 Tempter with less than 3000 miles on it. I was given it after it was poorly stored for 5 years. I've been able to get it to run and now I'm on the track of fixing other problems. Here we go with one of them.

The tach does not show any movement when the engine is running. I've not started on tracking this, but I'm thinking my first order of business will be to do a general check of the electrical system, starting with the fusebox and go from there.

Any initial guidance before I start down this road?

if the tach isn't working, it's probably just the cable. They're only $12 for OEM ones.

I would definitely check all of the electrical connections and see if they are corroded and secure.

Check all the rubber on the bike to make sure it's ok. All hoses, intake boots, tires, etc.

Change fluids.

You're probably going to have to clean the carbs eventually, but you might be able to get away with not doing it for this year. It's a good winter project anyway.

Am I missing any maint for a bike that's been sitting anyone?

Comment

1. Gas tank and/or petcock---check for rust
      2. Fork seals
      3. Chain Tension (this gets overlooked a lot)
      4. Check the tires..if it's been sitting for 5 years are they weather checked?
      5. I would agree with a carb rebuild or at least a good cleaning.

Hope you have better luck than me getting her on the road.

Northwoods

Comment

Thanks I'll look there.

The process so far has been;
        1. Oil in the cylinders for a few weeks, move the bike in gear then more oil.
        2. Oil Change.
        3. New Battery
        4. Flush the gas tank.
        5. Clean the carb 3 times.
        6. Get it running.
        Now, it' all the detail work, getting electrical items to work, replace a front signal and put new signals on the back, since they are gone.

I'm seeing electrical items like the "left Kickstand" light on all of the time, a horn that does not work and so on. It will take a little time. At least she starts and runs!

Comment

Working...
        X