Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harley rear shocks

Hi guys,
    do any of you know the size of the studs used for mounting the rear shocks to the newer hardley sporters, etc? There is an abundance of them going cheap on Ebay and I could use a pair. The japanese shocks seem to be twice the price but the harley parts have the same length. I dunno about stroke, I'll have to check that one later.

Thanks, Steve

Steve - just mounted a brand new pair of dyna take-offs on my 1000, only had to modify one bushing on the lower end of the shock - seems the Harley's have longer mounting posts than our old suzuki's. So far, so good (just don't let anyone know that I have Harley parts on my GS)!! 8)

Comment

The Harley parts are Japanese shocks, usually Showa.

Comment

Thanks for the news guys,
        My OEMs are Showa 4440s so things should bolt right on once I get the cash.

Steve

Comment

Any possability of retro'ing HD shocks to a 'GK? Mine are really bad off and I don't want to pay $300 for new ones...... :twisted:

Comment

Anything is possible Tim. I'd say stick to Sportster shocks since the weight of the bikes should be close. If you go the Ebay route just ask the seller some specifics before bidding.

Comment

hey i have harley turn signals

Comment

I have a Harley fairing on my Honda.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                  Anything is possible Tim. I'd say stick to Sportster shocks since the weight of the bikes should be close. If you go the Ebay route just ask the seller some specifics before bidding.

I was under the impression that the sportster was the lightest, and the road king the heaviest bike. Remember the 'GK is the heaviest GS, hence the air-assist shock. :twisted:

Comment

As long as its confessing time, I have 2 small pieces of harley chrome that i used for mounting my rear turn signals. It caused me to lose 1/2 second in the 1/4 mile though

Comment

A pair of new take off harley air shocks went for 50$ last night. I'm not sure if they needed their own compressor or not. The main thing you need to look at is the type of mounts for the shocks. My 400 has two eye bolts but my 1100E has an eye bolt and a fork type arrangement.

Steve

Comment

The eye/fork arangement is whats on the 'GK also, but the GK came out with the heavier duty air-assisted shock. Mine just aren't "duty'ing" anymore! :twisted:

Comment

Tim, if you have an 83 1100GK it should have an eye on each end of the rear shocks. I know that mine does (I've got both of mine off right now replacing the swing arm and secondary drive gears) not have an eye and fork configuration.

Comment

Whoops1 I was thinkin' of my Honda, it has the forked lower end on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X