bike tries to start when clutch is pulled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike tries to start when clutch is pulled

So I've been hooking up the wiring on my bike and it's almost there.
    My problem no is when I pull in the clutch it tries to start (without even touching the starter button) I've been following the wiring diagram I got off
    Basscliffs site and don't understand what could cause this. Thanks for any help.
    It sucks being so close to riding it other than this one thing.

Thanks

Sounds like you may have a short in your starter switch, or the spring in it is toast. Verify that the switch is working.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
      Sounds like you may have a short in your starter switch, or the spring in it is toast. Verify that the switch is working.
      Thanks. I think you just gave me an idea. Maybe the button is stuck down so any time I pull in the clutch it starts. I'll give it a look today.

Thanks again

Comment

You can take that whole assembly apart, but be careful.... sometimes the spring inside can pop out and fly away, and you'll never find it (ask me how I know). :?
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Starter

I'm painfully aware of your problem. The starter button mechanism is really simple but easily messed up. The contact is surrounded by a very thin circular ledge that keeps the spring from touching the contact. After a lot of years, it can crack and break away. When that happens, the spring can touch the contact and the outer portion of the plate....which completes the connection.

I recently had that happen on my 750 while I was going down the road. I was lucky I didn't wreck my starter. As Bruce says, watch out when you disassemble it and be tender when you're handling it. The little circuit board will probably be very brittle.

While you're working on your bike, you might want to bypass the clutch switch....those things are so irritating!
          Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-26-2008, 04:03 PM.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

MikesXS gauges

Got it figured out. As you guys said, it was the starter button. Turns out I had
            the spring the wrong way so the contact was always made even without touching the starter button. So the wiring is almost there.

Only thing left is the Neutral and oil light indicator. I should have waited until I got all the wiring back on before trying to install the MikeXS speedometer.
            Wondering if anyone else has installed them and maybe have some pics of there wiring. It seems to easy to not have it working. Any help is greatly appreciated as this is all I have left before this bike is ridable.

Comment

Hey dude! Shoot a PM to StrtLegal. He's got that very speedometer on his bike and it's working. He might be able to help.

Here's a thread I started discussing this very speedo...in case somebody else shows up that has it. If nothing else, it'll get you to his profile so you can send him a PM.

Comment

Working...
              X