wiring question brown wire in HL bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring question brown wire in HL bucket

PO had a vetter front fairing on and spliced the brown wire with another wire, what is the brown wire for in my clymer i cant really tell as i am bad at reading wiring schematics. is it for the self canceling turn signals?? cause mine dont cancel automatically.

if not what is it for and where does it go cause right now it is disconnected.

There's a few brown wires that could be up there. Suzuki tended to use a standard colour code on their bikes and brown was usually a switched +ve (ie only become +ve when the ignition is on). You'll need to find out what doesn't work when the ignition is switched on to solve it.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

well i know the turnsignals front and rear work headlight high/low, turnsignal indicator on gauges, kickstand indicator, oil light, horn all work.

guess its like trying to push a piece of string and keep it straight just gotta keep giving it a go

Comment

My brown wire goes into the ignition switch
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I don't have my manual right in front of me right now, but if you look along the left edge of the wiring diagram, just to the right of the icons for the headlight and turn signals, you will see a long black row of connections. If you look closely, you will see that the bottom two connectors only have wires on one side. One of them is brown, the other is black/white. These are intended as accessory wires, and are fed by the headlight/tail light fuse (top fuse in the panel). If your bike does not have running lights in the front signals as standard equipment, this is where the Vetter would have plugged in for the running lights.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

As Steve says, that is a spare fused feed for your GPS, cellphone, radio, heated grips etc. They only forgot to make the alternator strong enough to actually power anything usefull and extra!
            Steve should be able to comment on this as he found his Wing had too little juice for all the extra bells and whistles and upped it to a 90 Amp unit, thats even larger than the one on my car!! On the GS you have about 18 Amp maximum from your alternator even a extra spotlight will start discharging your battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I don't have my manual right in front of me right now, but if you look along the left edge of the wiring diagram, just to the right of the icons for the headlight and turn signals, you will see a long black row of connections. If you look closely, you will see that the bottom two connectors only have wires on one side. One of them is brown, the other is black/white. These are intended as accessory wires, and are fed by the headlight/tail light fuse (top fuse in the panel). If your bike does not have running lights in the front signals as standard equipment, this is where the Vetter would have plugged in for the running lights.

actually that brown wire the black with white stripe that are not connected to anything are for European bikes.

in Europe (at least in Germany) there is a parking light in the headlight.

that wire goes to the front park light. it is switched and has power when on and when ignition is turned to park.

on late model bikes with the front running lights in the turnsignals they get power from the same circuit as the license plate light and don't come on when the ignition is turned to park.

I have a German spec (Hella) headlight on my 1000G and have the park light hooked up.

Comment

Working...
              X