How fast am I going??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fast am I going??

My speedo jumps all over the place. If I stare at it long enough I can see it tic at what the speed is. Not the best thing to do while crusing at freeway speeds. Any fixes?[-o<

Originally posted by GreMonte View Post
    My speedo jumps all over the place. If I stare at it long enough I can see it tic at what the speed is. Not the best thing to do while crusing at freeway speeds. Any fixes?[-o<

check your speedometer cable. Sometimes advance auto carries a generic speedo cable replacement (in their lawnmower section).

Comment

Try Chain Wax or get a new cable.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Lube the cable or get a new one. If that doesn't fix it, you could lube the speedo gauge itself by squirting some lube in the back. If that doesn't fix it you may have to pull the mechanical speed-sensor on the wheel and clean and repack with grease.

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
          Lube the cable or get a new one. If that doesn't fix it, you could lube the speedo gauge itself by squirting some lube in the back. If that doesn't fix it you may have to pull the mechanical speed-sensor on the wheel and clean and repack with grease.

x2

Comment

I had the same problem. My bike had been sitting for 7 years and I guess got kinda gummed up. I lubed the cable and cleaned and relubed the "gearbox" and it seemed to sort it. It still bounces a bit and I don't really trust it for the correct speed but it is much better. I'm thinking about a bicycle speedo as I'm told these can be quite accurate.

As mentioned, some folks use the chain wax which is thicker than most lubes and it tends to slow thing down. I'd give that a try.

Hope you can get it sorted as i know how distracting it can be.

Cheers,
            Spyug.

Comment

Working...
            X