Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lubricate the clutch cable without taking it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lubricate the clutch cable without taking it off?

Hey all -

I'm wondering what the best way to lubricate the clutch cable is, hopefully without taking it off - since I don't know how to do that!

What lubricant to use? Any help would be appreciated.

you can take the cable off up at the handle and assuming you dont have cable lube tool, then you can make like a cone shape cup around the cable end and fill it with lubricant and work the cable as the lube makes its way down the line.

Comment

OK, cool. What's the best lubricant to use? WD-40?

Comment

To do it right you really should take it off so you can shoot lube from both ends. If you are not up for that, drop into your local bike store and buy a can of cable lube and a brake and clutch cable injector. The injector is a gizmo that sits on the cable end and into which you shoot the lube. It helps to send the spray into the cable sheath. Don't use WD as it is not really a lubricant buy the cable specific lube it is cheap enough.

If you don't want to buy the injector just make up a funnel instead. Remove the cable end from the lever, take some duct or masking tape and connect it to the cable outer sheath at the mouth. Form it into a funnel shape to help the lube run into the sheath.Spray in a good quantity and allow it to run into the sheath. Move the cable in and out a few times to help the lube run down. Repeat.

All there is to it but do the throttle cable at the same time.

Good luck.
        Cheers,
        Spyug
        Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

you can use wd-40, but once it evaporates it doesnt do much as far as lubricating. iv used engine oil before but that can be messy. your better off just going to the store and getting a bottle lube specifically for lubricating cables.

Comment

I tried to do that to my throttle cable a bit, same idea. Im not sure what you are supposed to use, but I used some "3 in one" oil . Its a little metal can that I used on skateboard bearings, figured it should work well enough

Comment

Working...
            X