Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shrunken airbox rubbers

Well, it may not be the rubbers....

Put the carbs back on to night, connected up a lawn mower petrol tank and my rebuilt motor fired up spot on. (I've rebuilt everything on what turned out to be a candidate for the world's most abused and bodged GS1000SN).

Right, running fine, now just squeeze on the airbox and I can tune in the carbs. Only the airbox doesn't fit. The airbox to carb rubbers are the right diameter but when I push the rubbers on to the carbs the front part of the airbox sits about 1cm too far forward for the fittings on the frame, and this follows through when I attach the rear part of the box - about 1cm too far forward to bolt on the frame at the back of the box.

So something is too short. VM28 carbs must be the right length and I can't see the carb to head rubbers being short(?). So chief suspect is that the airbox to carb rubbers have been replaced at some point with something shorter but similar.

My question: does anyone know the length of the box to carb rubbers i.e. how much is sticking forward from the box? Or were there different airboxes (chrome side panels) available? Or is there something else I'm missing?

I don't want to go pods by the way! (I'll probably end up manufacturing a spacer)
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Air box rubbers

You probably need new, here's pics of the old and new for my suzuki:

and this:

1981 GS750L (sold)
    1981 GS750L (current)
    1978 Yamaha RD400 (RD = Race Development)
    1981 Honda CT70 (86+ MPG at WOT most of the time)
    1983 GS1100GL (needs work: update, gone to a new home)
    1956 Simplex (with a TS250 motor)
    1985 GS1150E (Hammer Time!!)
    1998 1200 Bandit (Rattler)
    1980 GS1100L (Janice)
    Do I continue?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col Jeff Cooper
    e tan, e epi tan

Comment

Yep

I can totally relate. I just 'bit the bullet' and bought new ones for the GS750. Mine were so shrunk that they barely fit into the carbs with the airbox bolted onto the frame. Now they fit perfectly.

In all fairness, I must say that Suzuki has combined the boots for both the 34mm and 32mm carbs (they used to offer 2 different sizes) and these were a very tight squeeze into the airbox but it all worked out OK. I was surprised at how hard the old ones were; almost like plastic instead of rubber.8-[
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

oooH know what yer mean!

Oooooh Know exactly what yer mean I tried every where and couldnt get any, so use a set of K&Ns instead.
        Last edited by gshub; 05-29-2008, 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Problem sorted. New airbox arrived today, courtesy of Salty Monk. Rubbers as soft as a baby's backside and fits spot on.

Thanks Dan. You just dunno how lucky you are to be able to get stuff this good in the States; last time I saw a box in this condition in the UK was in 1857 or thereabouts:-):-)
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Try soaking the rubbers in very hot water. The heat makes them swell and soften. The Concours guys do this regularly.

Comment

Where could one find a set of new airbox rubbers? Bike Bandit didn't list them individually. While I'm at it, anyone know a cheap source for the intake boots that attach to the head? There about $120 for a set of 4 from Bike Bandit!!! I'd like to replace all the old, hard rubber around the airbox the avoid a leak. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by sdbuchert View Post
                Where could one find a set of new airbox rubbers? Bike Bandit didn't list them individually. While I'm at it, anyone know a cheap source for the intake boots that attach to the head? There about $120 for a set of 4 from Bike Bandit!!! I'd like to replace all the old, hard rubber around the airbox the avoid a leak. Thanks.
                You could luck into some "good" used ones from a memeber or take a shot on ebay, but in the end, to run right, probably going to have to cough up the 120 bucks. That's the prices, paid a little more than that from a dealer for mine to get them in a hurry.

Comment

Check Flat Out Cycle, they are cheapest for OE parts - there are pretty slow sometimes though. http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/fiche_select.asp

I ordered some from motorgrid.com and they were about $22 each. Not cheap but better than bikebandit.com.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    Problem sorted. New airbox arrived today, courtesy of Salty Monk. Rubbers as soft as a baby's backside and fits spot on.

Thanks Dan. You just dunno how lucky you are to be able to get stuff this good in the States; last time I saw a box in this condition in the UK was in 1857 or thereabouts:-):-)
                    Hi Wally,

That Airbox only has 21k on it & sat in a garage (on my skunk) since 1982! I suspect that part of the reason the condition was so good is that they haven't had any exposure to sunlight for 25 years!

Really glad it's solved your problem. If I ever move back, I'd better bring my GS's with me I'm spoilt now!!

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                    X