Transmission problems 83GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission problems 83GS750E

Need some help in diagnosing a problem. This bike was recently revived after sitting idle for 15 years; the odometer did not work so no idea how many miles on it. Engine compression is fair but not great. After working through all the years of neglect, the engine now runs pretty good and I have been riding it for about a month now. However it shifts with some difficultly and every once in a while it would not shift to the next gear or it would “pop” out of gear. I would just shift up or down again and it would change to the next gear. This weekend it stuck in fourth gear and only after several minutes of trying to down shift was I able to continue. It would shift up to and fifth and down to fourth with no problems. But it would not go into third. Eventually after a few minutes, it clicked into third and off I went. It did this several more times before I could return home.

I am thinking third or fourth gear has finally worn-out and perhaps the entire transmission is near the end of it’s life. Have any of you had this issue and can confirm this idea or is this something else?

Thanks, Troy

have you changed the oil? Maybe try a synthetic blend or full synthetic. I noticed a big difference when i switched to a blend from regular oil. Watch out though because the synthetic stuff cleans out dirt which may be stopping oil leaks now.

Comment

Since it sat for so long I would change the oil and filter every 500 miles three times and let all the crap work it's way out. If there still is a problem you have either bent shifter forks (easy fix) or bad dogs on the tranny. (split cases fix )
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My friend had a 83 750 ES with similar issues. We split the cases and discovered it was a $3 spring accessible fron the oil pan on the engine. It attached to the webbing on the lower case half, and if I remember correctly, it attached to the shift drum. Might be worth a check before tearing the whole motor apart.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
          Might be worth a check before tearing the whole motor apart.
          Heres another quick item to check. The shifter arm on the solid shaft. If that arm siezes on the shaft it screws up everything. Theres a snap ring on the end of the shaft. Take it off and lube the shaft. Then lube the shift linkage going fwd to the tranny. It helped my shifting alot.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for your help! You folks are the best.

Here is what I found, I removed the oil pan and found the remains of the spring the Carter told me about. Yahoo!!!

The new spring is on-order and I hope to be riding again next weekend. Hope to see you on the road.

Comment

Ahh, a non case splitting happy ending Isnt it WONDERFULL?? Incidentally, I have owned quite a few UJMs over the years, and some ive ridden the living crap out of. NEVER ONCE have I had a serious transmission problem out of one of them. I like to think our Zooks are the sturdiest bikes from the eras, but I have to say that all of the bikes *I* have ridden have pretty solid transmissions in them. YMMV, but aside from those that I have read/heard are prone to spitting out thrust washers, gear dogs or whatever, Ive not met one that did me wrong. Now, top ends on the other hand...

Comment

Working...
              X