No power under 3500 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No power under 3500 rpm

I just picked up an 81 gs450t, and finally got to take it out riding this weekend. It was stored for a couple of years, but it started right up with a new battery and some fresh gas mixed with the old stuff that had some stabil in it. It seemed to be doing fine, just sitting in neutral. When i actually got to ride it however, it stutters and has no power under 3500, but like clock work, when it breaks through 3500 it clears up and runs great. This problem is in every gear, so when im riding, i have to be sure to keep the revs around 4000 so i can actually accelerate when i need to.
    It did leave me stuck once this weekend, and i believe this was a related problem. With the choke full on, it idles just above 4k, and would run. As soon as i backed the choke off, it dropped below 3500 and it just died. Could this be the jets (secondary or primary, i dont know witch is witch) are clogged up and are not getting fuel?
    The carbs could use a rebuild, but i am yet to find a kit, and what money i have to spend, i have to buy some new tires for it. So that is going to be a couple of months, and good advice for the new guy for a temporary fix?

Ill share some info I was given, could be the orings between the carbs and the engine at the intake boot.

A member here has a site to order the specific rings if that is infact your issue. I ordered a set today and hope it helps me out.

Robbert Barr is the member and his site is:

specific page to check out is:

Good luck.

Comment

Mr. Barr sells o rings to use inside the carbs too, that's all the rebuild kit you need.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't have the carb kit for the 450 yet. I bought a set of carbs for the purpose of developing a kit, but the schmucks I bought them from (ebay) haven't bothered to send them... sort of a highly one-sided transaction. I pay, they play with themselves.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

wow, that sucks, hope you get your carbs soon. anyway, thanks for the responses, i will have to check that when i feel like getting that far into the bike. keep us up to date on the carb rebuild kit, i will deff. be in line for one when they are available.
          oh yeah, thanks for the responses guys, any other ideas, let me know.

Comment

Working...
          X