80 GS750 lives- now the hard part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn it all- PART DUEX!!!!

Got the air screw out with the help of the extractor. But the darn thing BROKE and left the needle part in the bottom and its stuck in or near the opening. ARGH!!!!!

Maybe I can hope and pray [-o< the dip process helps loosen it up. but right now only part of the screw and the spring came out. The washer, o ring, and needle are still stuck.

Hope I didn't permanently mess up this carb.

Comment

with it broke off theres nothing holding it in but 28 years of oxidation. the carb dip should help clean that up and help get it out. as for how to get it out, you may have to figure out a way to push it out from the other end, but don't mess up the hole...

Comment

OK got my carbs all clean- dipped for 24 hours, spray carb cleaner, compressed air through passages, new o-rings- the works.

BUT- She still has the same problem, For the most part. When she warms up she'll now idle without the choke (thats going in the right direction). Idles smooth. But, when I give her throttle she boggs.

Where do I go now???? Whats next???

Help... :-(

Comment

well, is everything stock on it? meaning the air filter assembly and the exhaust. if then air filter assembly is not stock (pods) it could be that it's not getting enough gas. what level do you have the air screws set at? on my 750L they are out about 2.5 turns if i recall correctly. They will be better tuned tomorrow thanks to a few fellow forum members and a bbq. did you not which jets were in yours. there's a possibility a PO rejetted the carbs in an attempt to get more power or some non-sence and messed something up. While cleaning the carbs did you use a piece of wire to clean out the small passages on the jet needle and the pilot circut? If you give it choke and then hit the throttle what happens? i know that's alot just trying to get your specific setup.

on a side note, does your 750L have good side covers and are you willing to get rid of them?? I've been looking for some for a LONG time.

Comment

It has pods and stock exhaust.

Screws at 2 turns, was going adjust from there

I beleive the jets are all stock

yes- used a small wire to clean passages.

Choke on or off- it boggs when throttle applied

PO screwed up the side covers. Neither have the tab to hold in on (bottom), 1 has the top tab broken and the one on the electrics side was burned when he fired the wiring (that I fixed). So, there aren't the side covers your are looking for. :-)

Comment

You need to rejet the carbs if you are going to use the pods. Would be far easier to put the stock airbox back on.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Stock air box was MIA. But I have to believe the bike will run with stock jetting and pods. Sure it'll eventually need a rejet, but for it not to take any throttle just because it has pods sounds- extreme.

But- I'll go get some jets and move the needle and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Texatl View Post
                  Stock air box was MIA. But I have to believe the bike will run with stock jetting and pods. Sure it'll eventually need a rejet, but for it not to take any throttle just because it has pods sounds- extreme.

But- I'll go get some jets and move the needle and see what happens.
                  Yo man, if you have some free time in the next few days, give me a shout. I would be more than happy to come down and lend a hand. I have been taught a bit on the CVs the last couple days from Steve, and might be able to help solve the issue

TCK

Comment

That would be very cool TCK. We'll have to work something out :-)

I'm wondering (out loud mostly) could it be a spark issue???? I pulled the plugs, #3 was wet and black, 2 dark but not wet or black. 1 and 4 looked alright.

Its revs to 5K on the choke just fine, and like I said it'll run off choke now. So this would lead to believe its not spark. But anythings possible, right?

Seems like I'm getting spark as everytime I check I get a nice blue spark.
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2008, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Revelation..... Floats????? Maybe??? They all moved OK and looked fine-

BUT if the float doesn't activate the fuel inlet needle valve could this cause the same problem described (run on choke circuit, but hate the throttle)?

Comment

OK, so the bike is back together and I'm making some progress. Remounted the carbs b/c I thought I might have a vacuum leak. It runs a bit better now.

I can get it to respond and rev on the throttle- but I have a lot of adjustments left to go, and need to smooth it out. I know I need a sync, chop test, etc...

But here is an odd issue- When I start the bike (no choke) It idles really high, like 4K rpm. Idle adjustment is out all the way, so it should be idling low. It'll hunt a bit, but hover around 4K. Any ideas why its idling so high?

Comment

What you doin this weekend/monday? I'll be gone on Friday, and im trying to get a ride together for Saturday (wanna come along?) But after that and sunday and monday Im off work and have no plans, if you'd like some help with that thing.

Comment

Ugh, I just saw this. I'm working :-( I'll send ya a PM and maybe we can work sumpthin out.

Comment

I think I saw that you said you intended to re-jet the carbs. I also noticed that you thought that the presence of the pods would not cause the problems you were encountering.

In fact, it sounds like the pods are indeed the problem (screwing with the mixture and causing a very lean situation). I have 2 GS750s and a GS1100 and all three use pods. These machines are unbelievably sensitive to changes in the mixture. In fact, my 80' GS750 would not run without the cap on the air-filter box (before I installed pods and re-jetted). The fact that your machine needed "choke" indicates that you were way too lean. In addition, if you find that the machine idles ok, but 'bogs' during acceleration also indicates that your main-jet is too small for the amount of air that the pods are allowing.

You may have alleviated all of your problems by now....but I just thought you should know this for future reference.

Comment

Originally posted by dtkid View Post
                                You may have alleviated all of your problems by now....but I just thought you should know this for future reference.
                                In fact, I have not. It still idles high, and does respond to throttle. But, your post makes sense. I'm going to try rejetting to see if that helps.

Because, I'm a cheap bastard... I don't wanna buy the DJ jet kit. I'd love to just throw the appropriate bigger jets, and move the needle. But we'll see... I'd rather ride that sit by.

Comment

Working...
                                X